Re: Your Concerns

Dear Mr. Faraj:

     Thank you for contacting me about the electronic privacy.  I appreciate hearing your views on this matter.

     U.S. intelligence officials have warned that a sustained attack on private computer networks could cause widespread social and economic havoc, possibly shutting down or compromising critical systems used by banks, utilities, transportation companies, water distribution networks and others.  On April 1, 2009, Senator John D. Rockefeller IV (D-WV), Chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, and Senator Olympia Snowe (R-ME) introduced the Cybersecurity Act of 2009 (S.773).  This legislation seeks to address our nation’s vulnerability to cyber crime, global cyber espionage, and cyber attacks that could potentially cripple critical infrastructure by creating a comprehensive and centralized framework for cybersecurity.

     Currently, government responsibility for cybersecurity is split between several federal agencies.  The Pentagon and the National Security Agency (NSA) safeguard military networks, while the Department of Homeland Security provides assistance to private networks.  Dennis C. Blair, the U.S. Director of National Intelligence, has said that one agency should oversee cybersecurity for government and the private sector.

     The Cybersecurity Act would establish the Office of the National Cybersecurity Advisor within the Executive Office of the President.  The National Cybersecurity Advisor would be a Senate-confirmed position and would report directly to the President.  Duties of the National Cybersecurity Advisor would include developing a comprehensive national strategy for cybersecurity; coordinating federal and private sector cybersecurity efforts; and in the event of a cyber attack, disconnecting a federal or critical infrastructure network from the Internet.  Additionally, the Office of the National Cybersecurity Advisor would create a Cybersecurity Advisory Panel consisting of industry and academic experts to advise the President; establish measurable and enforceable cybersecurity standards and the corresponding regulatory framework that would be applicable to the government and the private sector; and provide for the licensing and certification of cybersecurity professionals.

     Privacy concerns have been raised about the centralization of cybersecurity into one government office.  Of course, any new cybersecurity program must balance security with adequate protections for civil liberties.  In the areas of electronic commerce and personal networks, we must protect American citizens’ right to privacy and their right to be secure against unreasonable searches and seizures.

     The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 was reported favorably by the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation on March 24, 2010, and currently awaits action by the full Senate.  I will keep your thoughts in mind should this bill come before the full Senate.  Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Carl Levin