Random thoughts re: Doug's case from the "reasonably common man juror"

June 27, 2010

Haytham,
    You have many important cases and I have one obsession my son! I feel as if I am watching a chess match where each side checks another, but finally there is the check mate, capturing the queen. I never was very good at playing chess.

I.  My random thoughts: The three- some walked from Bourbon street to the hotel. They were in apparaent control of their faculties although tipsy. The question of a "three -some".seems verified in the hotel lobby where the girls WAITED while Doug got the hotel room. They did not leave and enter the elevator which would have been their escape.. When on the elevetor they chose not to get off at the seventh floor (intent) They entered the room of their own volition and undressed. The action of undressing appears to me to be intent. They wanted to stimulate (excite) the only male who was in the room (Doug) When they got undressed they were not headed for a Sunday School meeting.

II. Semen?: Explanations for probably causes.  Boys entering puberty where wet dreams cause leakage of seman from a virual dream with and erection and ejaculation absence any female present. Self stimulation (masturbation) can cause erection and ejaculation. Visual stimulation--Playboy Pin  Ups or on in the girls undressing for Doug's stimulation (by design). Mutual masturbation using the hand or the mouth will result in ejacution.  No penile penetration is necessary for all of these conditions to happen. All of these situations would be recognized by any male juror. This are normal functions. Further they are automatic bodily responses. If necessary a physician could explain it for court but it seems self evident to me of the mother of three boys.

There is no evidence of force with  trauma to the vaginal area through a rape investigation. In fact the girl Elizebeth did not even call hotel security when she left the room. Neither Elizabeth nor Rebecca, who was sober, exihibited alarm for their friend by calling security or police. Their concern was the boyfriend of .Jessica. No one except Doug and Jessica were in the room alone.  They could have been passed out(drunk) or simply sleeping as it was 3:00 in morning. No witnesses to the approximately 20 minutes of time.

In the morning Douglas went to their room and assured them that no wrong  doing had occurred except touching and kissing and volunteered to call their boyfriends.

III. Tampon. The tampon was working for nearly 18 hours. No leakage of blood on the clothes untill North Carolina. Medical testimony can explain that the tampons can move (the dancing of the night) and that if they are not removed in a timely fashion their can be bacteria that can cause irritation and even toxicity.
Sometimes they must be removed surgically. Surrounding the tampon in addition to blood (sometimes clots) there can be mucous from the females own body fluids of the vagina. This mucous may be the body's rejection of the foreign object (the tampon) not any insertion of a foreign object from outside.

IV. The journal of Elizbeth tells in her own words  that she wants and imagines  the conclusion of events she wants to happen and their outcome.. She indicated that she told the others that she had been molested.  She indicates that a sorority sister had a tampon problem therefore Jessica should check her's "planting the seed of doubt" in the veracity of Douglas explanation of events.

V. Back in the bar is there any "proof" that Doug actually saw Jessica throw up on the bar since the others were hiding it from customers or bartender. When girls went to the bathroom they amubulate on their own.
Rebecca (sober) did not call medics for Jessica or stay to protect Jessica from a medical emergency.
Once the girls returned the reasonal person would assume that they were both aware and rational although tipsy. No indication to the observer that either of them had "blacked  out" The stop at the Daquiri Bar is after the dance club where Jessica was freely buying drinks for Rebecca using her "plastic" Who bought the drinks at the Daquiri Bar?

I am aware that are rules evidence will control this next phase and I am not familiar with them except what has been used seems to be  hearsay. The evidence seems very thin. The hearsay seems very thick. I do  not know the military code of conduct and the motions that must be made for the trial phase.
I respect the attorney client relationship that you have with Douglas Unfortunately, I don't have a code book for the conduct for mothers of the defendant.

I played the role of "reasonable common man" for my husband's trial work. He figured is he could explain a complex issue so that I could understand then anyone would understand. On a  personal level I feel anguish for my son with his law career and military riding on the line but even that is forshadowed by the words "registered sex offender"

I do feel your strength and confidence in your intelligence and skill. I take comfort in that. Douglas seems to have weathered these many years. I did not take the stress well in that I had a stroke just following the first 32 hearing.

Now I try to relax - wait. My understanding is the Court Martial is scheduled for Nov. 1-9 and that Doug is scheduled to head the Marine Birthday Ball on Nov. 6th.  Clearly Doug and you need greater than 24 hours in a day or 365 days in a year to get all your tasks on the calendar.

Thank you for your patience in listening to my comments. I needed to "unload" so I turn to your. Bet you didn't get this in your job description.

Much success this summer.

La Nita Wacker
19839 8th Ave. NW
Shoreline, WA 98177