Bail Outs, Spill Outs, and You're Outs

Title: 0710GBM_NewVantage
| Green Builder Media | Green Builder Magazine | Green Builder College | Green Builder Vision House
Bail Outs, Spill Outs, and You're Outs

You've probably noticed that the last few editorial pieces that you've received from Green Builder® Media have been focused on the runaway oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. We're devastated by sad stories from the locals, ghastly images of oil encrusted birds and fish, and disturbing reports of the deteriorating benthic zone on the ocean floor that maintains the health of the marine ecosystem through essential recycling services.

But our urgent concern is not just due to the decimated habitats and destroyed livelihoods that make up the worst environmental disaster that our country has ever experienced. We're also gripped by the political and economic power play that is unfolding, with its infinite potential repercussions and opportunities.

As recently deceased coach John Wooden said, "Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there." Heartbreak of any kind—whether it's a loss on the court or the environmental equivalent of open-heart surgery—will certainly reveal the true character of those involved.

How will the battle of the governors play out, as Crist reconciles Florida's $60 billion tourism industry with Jindal's $65 billion oil and gas industry in Louisiana? How much infighting amongst neighbors will we see as they wrestle to protect jobs and revenue? Can they collaborate to find local solutions that will benefit their communities as well as their shared ecosystem? And, with local property values slashed by 30% and regional unemployment at 12%, what methods will they use to stabilize their economies?

Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga can teach us all a little about grace in the face of calamity after umpire Jim Joyce blew the call on his perfectly thrown game. And while Galarraga's comment that "It's just a game" is correct, the humanity of his reaction showed integrity, fortitude, and, perhaps most important, perspective.

Will our political and business leaders show the same strength of character in response to the oil calamity? Will they have the political courage to make difficult decisions that are best for humans and animals, even if those decisions require the overhaul of entrenched alliances that have become obsolete or destructive? Will they unite to find the silver lining in this disaster rather than use it to advance their individual political agendas?

With an excess of 30,000 barrels of oil still spewing into the Gulf on a daily basis, it's nearly impossible to recognize any silver lining, but if you look hard enough, it's there. Just as the 1969 oil spill off the coast of Santa Barbara helped generate enough environmental awareness to launch Earth Day and the Clean Air Act, today's spill has the potential to become a catalyst for the development of an economically and environmentally viable national clean energy program and to force the improvement of safety technology (as opposed to production technology) in the oil sector.

And if we're completely honest with ourselves, we'll admit that the Gulf of Mexico wasn't exactly the Garden of Eden even before April 20, when the Deepwater Horizon exploded. The Gulf of Mexico contains one of the largest dead zones in the world, caused by millions of tons of synthetic nitrogen and mined phosphorous that leach from Midwestern farm fields, sewers, and manufacturing plants. These chemicals make their way into streams that drain into the Mississippi and spill into the Gulf, where they feed a 7,000-square-mile algae bloom that sucks up oxygen and snuffs out sea life underneath. As we clean the mucky oil from the Gulf, will we have the foresight to also remediate the deathly outcome of our agricultural, sewage, and industrial practices?

At this point, it's impossible to discern what the long-term effects will be on the inhabitants that depend on the Gulf area's pristine beaches, lush wetlands, and diverse marine landscape. The uncertainty is excruciating, and Green Builder Media isn't prepared to sit on the sidelines in this battle. We are committed to take action on behalf of our readers and community.

There are many ways that we can pitch in. Some have suggested that we raise money to support cleanup efforts. Others suggest that our human and financial capital is better spent on the development of clean technology solutions.

What do you think? Please write to us at sara@greenbuildermag.com with feasible ideas about how we as a community should respond to this tragedy.

For more information about important topics related to sustainability and green building, follow me on my Twitter page at SaraGBM..

REEL GREEN
Lutron in the ReVISION Vegas Project

This video is designed to be viewed in Windows Media Player. Download the free player here.

Calling All Brains

The National Green Energy Council urges attendance at its emergency Gulf Oil Spill Disaster Response Summit. This is an opportunity for you and your colleagues (and family and friends) to weigh in on disaster mitigation to help limit environmental destruction. [read more]

In Hotter Water

The Energy Star Program will increase water heater criteria this fall. This is important information to note, particularly if you spec gas storage water heaters. [read more]

Editors' Product Pick: Fresh-Air Gypsum

Here's a great product for your next project: A new gypsum board that improves indoor air quality by reducing VOCs (formaldehyde and other aldehydes) that circulate indoors. [read more]

Consumers Demand Solar

Pulte experiences a push for solar from the home buyer side. In response, the company is expanding its solar power options at all price points, including first-time buyer neighborhoods. [read more]

Marketing Smarts: Eco Giveaway

This builder believes that good business, good environmental practices, and excellent service are intertwined. To get that message to its buyers, it created a unique homeowner move-in gift. [read more]

  • Calling All Brains
  • In Hotter Water
  • Editors' Product Pick: Fresh-Air Gypsum
  • Consumers Demand Solar
  • Marketing Smarts:
    Eco Giveaway

"We must see our natural world as a bank account and start living on the interest instead of eating away at the capital. …Despite the current challenges we face as a species, we must go forward and strike a delicate balance with the oceans if we are to survive well into the future. By ending our wasteful practices, weaning ourselves off our 100-year-addiction to fossil fuels and shifting to, and embracing renewable energy sources, we can a reach this critical balance."

—Fabien Cousteau, grandson of Jacques Cousteau, and founder of Plant a Fish

A GOOD MOVIE

Green Builder® Media
Editorial Offices
9891 Montgomery Rd. Suite 314
Cincinnati, OH 45242

List Unsubscribe
SHARE THIS EMAIL:
FacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterLinkedInLinkedInDiggDiggMySpaceMySpace