Re: Navy SEAL Fundraiser in San Diego CA

Thoughtful responses.
McCabe probably will not get permission to attend the rally on the 29th in San Diego.  And the one he attended in Scottsdale (the only other one, was not just for his defense fund, it was for all 3, and he did not wear a uniform).  I just booked a flight out there last night, but do not need to attend if we think it's in any way problematic.  Would just give a summary of the case and do some law firm branding, and NEVER would I or have I sought money from any fundraising efforts.  Marcy is still doing the accounting for all time spent on the case, including travel, media appearances and her blogging and constant replies to public inquiries.  There may be some shortfall in what is owed.  But it will all be documented in our books.  Do we need additional donations?  No.
As for gifting, is it really gifting if he never gets any money and he does not owe the money because he is not personally on the hook for the legal bill per our agreement?  I analogize it to pro bono representation.  Is pro bono legal assistance (to him) "income?"  I don't know.  It may be.
Even though whatever was done is already done, is an ethics opinion helpful?  Should we put it in writing and get a written reply or just call the hotline?  I don't think they're "after us," but it was mentioned as an aside.  The website pretty clearly and in a large bold print disclaimer distanced itself from any fundraising activities or endorsement thereof.  But we did provide contact info for those who wanted to donate (without us asking).  Having said that, we did have a PayPal button in case folks wanted to help McCabe.  People are allowed to pay another person's expenses if they want.
The main concern I have is that there appears to be a retaliation effort here that we should head off if we can.  We got a hot tip and perhaps it deserves some attention to protect our client, like making these emails public through the media.

Neal A. Puckett, Esq
Washington DC Metro Area
888.970.0005

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential, and is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, copying of disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify Puckett & Faraj, P.C. at 888-970-0005 or via a return the e-mail to sender.  You are required to purge this E-mail immediately without reading or making any copy or distribution.