impression of translation in deposition

Haytham,

                I am easier to reach on my cell at 443 610 7190 or my home phone at 410 243 2707.

Re: evaluation of translation in deposition of Ahmad Hashim in the case of United States v. SO2 McCabe

After comparing the transcript of the deposition with the audio I find that while the translation was not good and led to frustrating confusion, the translation did convey the essential meanings of the questions and the answers.

As evidenced by the question and answer series in the opening voir dire of the translator, the translator’s stronger language is clearly Arabic.  He created confusion in the voir dire by giving incomplete and confusing answers to questions, forcing counsel to ask additional questions in order to clarify.  The translator also clearly lacks experience in interpretation as he said at the beginning when he offered that he had not worked in a formal setting such as a court and that his primary work was in document translation.  His lack of formal interpretation experience showed when he could not maintain the first person in his translation of the detainee’s responses, even when asked to do so by counsel.  His translation of counsel’s questions in Arabic to the detainee did maintain the first person.

The translator’s inexperience and his challenges with English were largely overcome, though, by his asking counsel for clarification repeatedly throughout the deposition.  When the translator did not understand, he stopped and asked for clarification.  He did this on both sides of the translation, though much more frequently on the English side.  While the translator’s hesitations and indirect requests for clarification were frustrating, they were far better than the alternative of misunderstanding a question and translating something different than was asked.  The fact that he asked for clarification is an indication that he knew when he understood and when he did not and he stopped when he did not understand.

The translator also occasionally did not understand or retain the response of Mr. Hashim.  This seems to have been partially a result of poor acoustics in the room that the translator complained about in the beginning and partially a result of Mr. Hashim’s occasional poor enunciation in Arabic.  (I sometimes had difficulty following Mr. Hashim’s responses on the audio.  There were places where I replayed the audio many times and still could not make out his exact words.)  As a result, the translator asked Mr. Hashim for clarification in the middle of the translator’s English rendition of Mr. Hashim’s responses.  This appears to the non Arabic speaker as additional questioning on the translator’s part, but in reality the translator was simply checking to assure that he was correctly translating what he has already heard.  There were a few times when the translator simply did not understand Mr. Hashim and then the translator would ask Mr. Hashim what he meant.  I did notice that the translator appeared to tire towards the end of the deposition and as a result he had to ask more often for clarification.

Charles Schmitz

40 Linthicum

(410) 704-2966