Mayer Brown Axes 75; Service Dog Denied Food Stamps; Alt Billing Part of Fundamental Shift in Buying Trends; VLOs Unethical? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Note: See the Top 5 Peeps in Law dioramas & then Vote for Your Favorite. http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/top_5_peeps_in_law_dioramas_vote_for_your_favorite

Business of Law
Mayer Brown to Lay Off 28 Lawyers & 47 Staff in US, But Says Legal Market is Improving
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/mayer_brown_to_lay_off_28_lawyers_and_47_staff
Apr 8, 2010 12:42 pm CDT

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Animal Law
No Food Stamps for Service Dog, But His Disabled Owner May Now Have a Lawyer
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/no_food_stamps_for_service_dog_but_his_disabled_owner_may_now_have_a_lawyer
Apr 7, 2010 2:24 pm CDT

ABA Journal
Alt. Billing is Part of Fundamental Shift in Buying Trends, Corp. Counsel and Partners Say (Audio)
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/alternative_billing_whos_actually_doing_it
Apr 5, 2010 3:09 pm CDT

Legal Ethics
Virtual Offices May Violate Ethics Rules, New Jersey Opinion Says
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/virtual_offices_may_violate_ethics_rules_new_jersey_opinion_says
Apr 6, 2010 5:30 am CDT

Legal Ethics
Judge Finds No Bad Faith by Qualcomm Lawyers, Lifts Discovery Sanctions
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/judge_finds_no_bad_faith_by_qualcomm_lawyers_lifts_discovery_sanctions
Apr 7, 2010 6:00 am CDT

Legal Ethics
Lawyer Says April Fool's Joke Was Not an Ethics Violation
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_says_april_fools_joke_was_not_an_ethics_violation
Apr 6, 2010 7:27 am CDT

Law in Popular Culture
5 Years of Small-Town Practice Was Plenty, John Grisham Tells Yale Law Students
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/5_years_of_small-town_practice_was_plenty_john_grisham_tells_yale_law_stude
Apr 6, 2010 1:47 pm CDT

Tax Law
TurboTax Revises Software After Retired Lawyer Spots a Glitch
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/turbotax_revises_software_after_retired_lawyer_spots_a_glitch
Apr 7, 2010 6:43 am CDT

Judiciary
Fired Judge Defends Arrest Warrant for Teen with Overdue Library DVD
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/fired_judge_defends_arrest_warrant_for_teen_with_overdue_library_dvd
Apr 8, 2010 7:16 am CDT

Internet Law
Judge Sues Newspaper for $50M, Claims Breach of Promised Anonymity re Web Comments
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/judge_sues_newspaper_for_alleged_breach_of_anonymity_promise_re_web_comment
Apr 7, 2010 5:19 pm CDT

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Ever Had an Unpaid Law Internship? Hired an Unpaid Intern?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/ever_had_an_unpaid_law_internship_hired_an_unpaid_intern

In a post this week, we noted reports that some states and the U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division are stepping up enforcement of potential violations by companies that offer unpaid internships that violate Labor Department standards.

"If you're a for-profit employer or you want to pursue an internship with a for-profit employer, there aren't going to be many circumstances where you can have an internship and not be paid and still be in compliance with the law," Nancy J. Leppink, acting director wage and hour division, told the New York Times.

What we want to hear from you: Have you ever had an unpaid law internship--or had unpaid law interns at your firm? If so, what were the position's duties? Do you think the interns were exploited, or did they get a valuable educational experience?

Read the full question, then answer in the comments.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ever_had_an_unpaid_law_internship_hired_an_unpaid_intern

Read the answers to last week's question: What Was Your Most Grueling Year?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/what_was_your_most_grueling_year

Featured answer:

Posted by Carrie: "I had a baby two days into my second year of law school, came back to school 2 weeks later, and split childcare with my academic husband by staggering our class schedules for the next 2 years. We would've liked to use the beautiful childcare center the law school advertises as a great perk for students, but it was packed with professors' kids, and there was no way a student not bankrolled by the Bank of Daddy could afford it. After that experience, everything else in a legal career is a relief."

In The Magazine