You Should Know: Holiday Survival Guide

Title: You Should Know Email Newsletter
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here to view newsletter online.

   December 2011   |   Subscribe   |

top

In This Issue
â Beware Dangerous Toys
â Hosting Holiday Parties
â Ride Escalators Safely

bottom

Galligan & Reid, P.C.

Brian Galligan
(515)282-3333
Email

Dear Haytham,

The holidays are full upon us with all the celebrations and family time we hold so dear. Before you head out to shop or hit those festive parties, browse our 2011 Holiday Survival Guide with tips on how to stay safe and sound this holiday season.

News from Our Firm

View My Bio

Shop and Celebrate Safely ...
3 French Hens, 2 Turtle Doves and Our 2011 Holiday Survival Guide!

MontageTopping our wish list this year is a safe and joyous holiday season for you and your loved ones. To help you get there, we have “regifted” two popular past holiday issues of You Should Know on avoiding dangerous toys and hosting a safe holiday party. We also threw in a few tips on escalator safety just to make doubly sure you make it home from the mall with your 12 drummers drumming, 11 pipers piping, 10 lords a-leaping... well, you get the idea.

Season's greetings and Happy New Year from all of us! Learn more.

By the Numbers
47% Balloons and Balls

Eight of the 17 toy-related deaths in 2010 were caused by kids choking on balloons or rubber balls. Another 251,700 toy-related injuries required an emergency room visit.

Source: Toy-Related Deaths and Injuries 2010 (Download PDF), Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)

112 Million Drunks
a-Driving

U.S. adults overdrank and climbed into their cars 112 million times in 2010. Alcohol is the culprit in one in three road fatalities, which spike during the holidays.

Source: Vital Signs, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

90 Billion Escalator Rides

While most of the 90 billion escalator rides in America each year end without incident, approximately 11,000 people were injured in 2007 by falls and entrapment.

Source: Steps to Safety, CPSC

Further Information

Monitor Unsafe Toys via Facebook, Twitter, Mobile Phone
Track unsafe toys at Toysafety.net from the U.S. Public Interest Research Group. Also see Twitter, the mobile phone buyer’s guide and the 26th Annual Trouble in Toyland Survey (download).

Learn How to Spot Drunk Drivers and Get Them Off the Road
Here are tips from Mothers Against Drunk Driving to help you spot drunk drivers and then get them off the road without jeopardizing your own safety.

Kids Learn Escalator, Elevator Safety Online
The Elevator Escalator Safety Foundation promotes safe riding awareness programs throughout the nation. Cue up the Safe-T Rider online video for your young children before you hit the mall.

Host a Hot Coffee House Party
Selected for the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, Hot Coffee has critics calling it “the must-see film of the year.” Register for a free DVD, and learn how to get involved!
You Should Know Podcasts
Experts talk about the issues featured each month in You Should Know.

You Should Know is a copyrighted publication of Voice2News, LLC, and is made possible by the attorney shown above. This newsletter is intended for the interest of past and present clients and other friends of this lawyer. It is not intended as a substitute for specific legal advice. You received this newsletter at <haytham@puckettfaraj.com> because you indicated to the above attorney your interest in receiving information via email. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, click here to unsubscribe from this newsletter, and your request will be honored immediately. You may also submit such a request in writing to: Steven L. Miller, Editor, 4907 Woodland Ave., Des Moines, IA 50312. Be sure to include your email address.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image