Re: Info on Citadel Marine KIA's

Sir, thank you, very much this message, as well as, all the others you've sent.
Note - I've been on your DistroList, for a number of years.
I always enjoy learning new things about the history of my school; things I'm just a little embarrassed to say I didn't know.
As I read through your artfully assembled attachment to the below message, I could not help but start to feel sentimental, once I began reading through the text.  Something I picked-up-on right away, was the red-enameled badge on 1stLt Booth's Dress-Grey's uniform -- I thought, "I used to have one of those."  Reading about 2ndLt John Fuller, USMC and his Navy Cross nearly choked-me-up.

Here's why:
--My 1st Tour in OIF (in 2003), I served as the Co.Cmdr for Echo 2/5.
    (probably the most important year of my life)
--During the 'March-Up' to Baghdad and subsequent SASO Operations in As Samawah and Yousifya, Lt. Matt Lynch, USMC of Long Island, NY, was my 3d Plt Cmdr.  He was a very brave, candid, funny, action-oriented, wonderful young man.  He had been a Varsity swimmer at Duke University, prior to Commissioning/TBS/IOC.
--2ndLt Fuller, USMC was the 3d Plt Cmdr in Company E; he was killed in 1967, while attempting to reach the radio IOT call-in Artillery and save his boys...
--During my 2nd Tour in OIF
, Lt. Lynch was still in 2/5 (in 2004; I had moved-on as well, and was now serving as OIC, 'Blue Diamond' JUMP (the 1st MarDiv CG's mobile command post).  That year was the 'polar-opposite' of the previous year; I had a really rough-time/tour that year, with a lot of KIA/WIA.  And, this made it just a bit worse...
--Coincidentally, 'Blue Diamond' was headquartered in Ramadi(Al Anbar) -and- 2/5 had recently relieved 2/4, within the same city (Ramadi).  I'm pretty
sure ~~ Lt. Lynch was based at Hurricane Point, with 2/5-Main; just South of 'Blue Diamond' and across the Euphrates.
--Lt. Lynch had fleeted-up by this, his 2nd, Deployment, to be one of the platoon commanders within Weapons Company, 2/5.  Tragically, following an IED-strike on Rt. Michigan (which bisects Ramadi), Lt. Lynch was attempting to rescue another wounded Marine, when he was struck down during a complex ambush and killed by enemy fire.  Following my return from that deployment, I had attended his funeral in Long Island.  His older brother was also a Marine Officer (pilot); and, his father was an FBI agent.  I remember being so adversely affected by losing one of my Lieutenants, whom I had pushed so hard during 2002-2003; and, Matt - well, he had given me and Echo Co. everything back, and then some.

--The reason I write about all of this, is because I found it strange -and wonderful- that with 37 years between them (2004-1967), both on 'opposite' sides of the world (either in Iraq or Vietnam, from Camp Pendleton), the 3d Platoon Commanders from Company E had both given their lives in service to their Country, and both while attempting to save the lives of other Marines.

Sir, thank you for the Message & Attachment, and for this hour (or, so) of reflection.

Very Respectfully,
Major Ted Card, USMC
(former-Company Commander, E/2/5)
(The Citadel, Class of 1994)

P.S.  Sir, I'm sorry to say this; because, you'll probably recoil, when you read on...  But, the year you graduated from The Citadel, was the same year I was born -- in 1972.