Changes in billing practices

1.  Please see attached memo that I received about CJA billing practice changes.  I have attached the complete transmittal.

2.  On December 1,  amendments to the Federal Rules of Crim P. will take effect if Congress does not block any of them.  The amendments almost all involve the increased use of electronic means.
The rules involved are:

 Rule 1-  Broadens the definition of telephone

Rule 3- Allowing complaint to issue electronically

Rule 4- Allowing return of warrant electronically

Rule 4.1-  Comprehensive procedure for issuance of warrant electronically

Rule  6 -Authorizing grand jury returns by video conference

Rule 9 - Authorizing issuance of arrest warrant electronically

Rule 32- Technical

Rule 40- Authorizing video conference for arrest in another district

Rule 41- Authorizing warrant requests electronically

Rule 43 -Authorizing defendant's appearance in misdemeanors by video conference IF defendant consents in writing

Rule 49-authorizing service electronically

3.  Attached is an invite to the retirement party for AUSAs  Michael Leibson and Blondell Morey

Miriam L. Siefer
Chief Federal Defender
Legal Aid & Defender Assn
 Federal Defender Office