Defense Response to Government Daubert Motion

Sir,

This is the defense response to the referenced motion.

Christian P. Hur
Captain, USMC
Senior Defense Counsel
Telephone:  (619) 524-8713
Fax:  (619) 524-6784
Address:  Defense Section, Bldg 12, 1st Floor, MCRD, San Diego, CA 92140

This email may contain Attorney Work Product.  Please delete if you received
this message in error.

--- Begin Message ---
CAPT Hur,
In follow-up to our conversation on 22 Mar 2010, a tampon may end up deeply
placed (or high up) in the vaginal canal for several reasons.  Sexual
intercourse can dispace the tampon deeper inside, as can other kinds of sexual
activity (digital manipulation, use of foreign objects).  In other cases, some
individuals will insert a second tampon, forgetting they already had a tampon
in place, thus forcing the first tampon higher up the canal.  Another
potential reason might include anatomic distortion (due to tumors or rectal
distension) of the vaginal canal that pushes the tampon up the canal.  And,
some patients report being unable to retrieve tampons in the absence of any
identifiable cause (so they see their doctors for assistance), suggesting
migration up the canal due normal physical activity.
	Of note, I was unable to find any research literature on this topic, so the
opinion here is based on clinical and anecdotal experience.  I reviewed this
reply with 5 of my colleagues, all Board Certified ObGyns (I did not share any
details of the case), and they concur with this opinion.
V/R
CAPT Wm. M. Leininger, MC, USN
Ob/Gyn Residency Program Director, NMCSD
Dept Ph: 619-532-7004