very rough draft

I would like to apologize. I would like to apologize to you for having to take time to do this.  I want apologize to my wife and daughter that have had to endure this trial and to hear the things that were said.  I want to apologize to the judge and the various people who have had to be inconvenienced because of this court martial.  I have let down many people who believed in me.  I want to reassure you that I will learn and grow from this.  I had a failure in judgment.  I want you to know that it was a temporary lapse.  I want to assure you that it will not happen again.  I want to convince you that this is not me.  I am a good man.  I am a man who loves his family and loves that Navy.  I love my rank of Chief Petty Officer and take pride in upholding its tradition.  I know that I brought discredit on myself.  I am standing here to assure you that if you allow me the opportunity you will not regret your decision.  You’ve already heard of my track record.  I know how to overcome diversity. I did it before.  I know how to excel as a sailor.  I’ve done that before as well.  I say these things to build your confidence in me so that I can have an opportunity to fix what I have done.

I am asking each of you individually to see past my mistakes and failures and to consider my entire record.  I have been responsible for training over 300 productive and successful sailors.  I have been relied on by pilots who have gotten onto their cockpits and taken off after a cursory inspection of their aircraft, after realizing I was the one that worked on their engine and prepped their flights.  People have trusted and relied on me.  I will never betray that trust again.

This is the punishment phase.  As you ponder your decision I want to share a few facts with you.  Over the last couple of years there have been dozens of people of all levels that have been accused of fraternization.  None have gone to court-martial.  Of the dozens who have been accused 3 were CPOs.  Also none of them went to court-martial.  One chief who violated the same TSCINST didn’t even lose his red rope.  I am not saying this to minimize my actions.  I am saying in the hope that I will persuade you to allow me a chance to redeem myself.  You of course know that if a Chief does not go to court-martial he can’t be reduced.  I am respectfully requesting that you not reduce me.  This conviction will stay with me for the rest of my life.  Every time a records check is completed I will pop us as someone who has a federal conviction.  I am hoping that I can persuade you to let this conviction stand as punishment enough.  The judge says you can do that.  You can just let this conviction be my punishment.  You all know that this will limit my opportunities to ever advance again and it may result in me being eventually administratively separated.  That in addition to the stress, fear, and the living with the unknown has been devastating to my state of mind and the well being of my family.  It has been punishing.  Me and my family have suffered.  I request that you end my punishment.

Haytham Faraj, Esq.

PUCKETT & FARAJ, PC

WASHINGTON DC׀  SAN DIEGO ׀ DEARBORN

www.puckettfaraj.com

888.970.0005 Toll Free

202.280.1039 Fax

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential, and is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, copying of disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify Puckett & Faraj, P.C. at 888-970-0005 or via a return the e-mail to sender.  You are required to purge this E-mail immediately without reading or making any copy or distribution.