From: Grey Capt Nicholas R
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:18
To: Rowe Maj Carlos O; Hur Capt Christian P
Cc: 'nrgrey@gmail.com'; 'Christian.Hur@gmail.com'; 'rowec_atl@yahoo.com'
Subject: RE:

Sir,
	I've thought about your case over the weekend and I am more convinced than ever that retaining civilian counsel is the proper course of action.

	This may be a holdover from when I was working divorces in civilian practice, but I look to dollars and cents on my cases and see that your retirement is on the line.  Under the high-3 retirement calculator, that asset could be worth over two million dollars over 40 years.

 (http://militarypay.defense.gov/mpcalcs/Calculators/FinalPayHigh3Result.aspx)

	Capt Hur discussed your case with LtCol Sullivan (the SJA) over email and understands that the CG's intention is to seek your dismissal, even if you accept NJP.  Given the stakes and the government's intentions, then, I don't see much advantage with cooperating with them.

	I do think there is a fair risk of conviction at trial on the wrongful sexual contact charges.  The elements of wrongful sexual contact are easier to prove than aggravated or abusive sexual contact.  For wrongful sexual contact the government only needs to prove that there was "intentional touching, either directly or through the clothing, of the genitalia...breast...or buttocks of another...with an intent to...arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person" and that the contact was without legal justification or authorization.  Potter, Ogletree, and Vinson will all testify that the contact occurred and Ogletree (and Vinson?) will testify the touching was without authorization.  The government need not prove coercion or force occurred.

	We do have a "mistake of fact" defense available to us, essentially arguing that, even if the women did not consent in their own minds, their conduct and the circumstances made it reasonable for you to believe that they did consent.  The mistake must be objectively reasonable, meaning that an ordinary sober person in those circumstances would think that he had consent to touch.  GySgt Potter's testimony will assist in this defense, but the members may still side with Ogletree because GySgt Potter was further away and couldn't have been watching everything the whole time.

	Again, I think it is worth running the risk of conviction at General Court Martial given what is on the line.  Conviction at GCM will stain your reputation and criminal record, but I don't see jail time out of this case.  If we accept an NJP plea deal you will likely be before a board yet this year, facing dismissal before your 20 years.  If you go to court martial with civilian counsel you will be in the judicial pipeline for many months and stand a much better chance of remaining in until your 20 year mark.  The government is not prevented from starting administrative proceedings now, but they always opt to go the judicial route first.

	As an example of how civilian counsel can draw out proceedings, when I was scheduling my first case in April I asked the judge for 10 weeks to prepare and the government argued we should go to trial in 6 weeks.  The judge compromised at 8 weeks.  The exact same judge has allowed civilian counsel continuances from April until now in another case that I am working on--trial still is not even scheduled in that matter.

	On a positive note, it sounds as though the government is going to withdraw the orders violation charge regarding alcohol at 9th MCD HQ.  The CO apparently does not think that charge warrants further investigation.

Respectfully,

Capt Nicholas Grey
Defense Counsel
MCRD San Diego
(619) 524-4113

ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION OR ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT.  The information contained in or attached to this communication is confidential, legally privileged and intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is transmitted.  Any other use of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately at the above email address or telephone number.

DO NOT RELEASE, FORWARD, OR COPY WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORIZATION FROM THE SENDER.