Folks, before you go on to the News, please read the below information from our friend and former NASA OSDBU Director, Ralph Thomas, regarding the passing of a Dear Friend to all Veterans, Murray Schooner; a wonderful Man, a Decorated Veteran, and a True Patriot who for many years advocated for Veterans rights and for we Veterans in business.  May Murray Rest In Peace; he will be missed by many.   To read a wonderful history of Murray Schooner's life, please see the latest edition of the National Veteran Owned Business Association (NaVOBA) Magazine.

From: Ralph Thomas

Subj:  Taps for Murray Schooner

"Hi Team:

Murray Schooner died yesterday.  I don’t know how many of you actually knew Murray Schooner. Please see the emails below as well as the attached article.  He was a faithful colleague and good friend of mine

for 17 years.  I met him when I was Associate Administrator of NASA’s Small Business Program.  Murray was one of the first volunteers for my Prime Contractors Roundtable, which I started to facilitate dialog among major corporations to develop ideas to award more subcontract award dollars to small businesses.  Murray was then the Small Business Liaison Officer (SBLO) for Unisys.    Murray was contagiously enthusiastic, and he always had a good report at every single meeting about the strides his company was making in the small business arena.  When Federal Small Disadvantaged Business Programs were threatened by the Supreme Court case of Adarand v. Pena, it was Murray Schooner who traveled the country with me and acted as my co-presenter, as we ably demonstrated that the case was far from a death knell for the Program.  He always encouraged and complimented me which used to give me an emotional lift during the hard times.

He came to my law firm’s 25th anniversary in October 2009, and we took a picture together.( See below).  A short time afterwards, he wheeled himself out of the building and went to see a movie in Tyson’s Corner.  He was independent to the end, refusing to let his condition get the best of him.  The last time I saw him was at his house in November 2009, I believe, where he threw a party for all of his friends.  Perhaps it was to serve as his farewell party.  What else can I say?  Murray had a sincere heart and was a true advocate for small socioeconomic businesses—one of the best.  He was a man who supported the underdog. I deeply regret that I delayed contacting him these last few months. I wanted to send him that picture we took in October.   We always think that we have a little more time before things like this happen. But extra time is promised to no one.

I pray that God will richly bless Murray’s family and give them some comfort in these times.  I know that Murray was very proud of his son, Steven, and I was very happy to have finally met his wife at his last party.  It was very gratifying that she recognized my name from the stories Murray told her about our experiences together.  It is my deep honor to have been Murray Schooner’s friend.  Good bye, Murray, and may God always be with you."

VA News for Tuesday, March 2, 2010

1.      Shinseki, Akaka Agree On Need To Reform VA Disability Claims System. In continuing coverage, the AP (3/2) reports Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki and US Sen. Daniel Akaka (D-HI) "have agreed that reforming the VA disability claims system must be a top priority." On Friday, Akaka "said...in a Washington news release that he's encouraged by the administration's commitment to add thousands of staff to process veterans' disability claims." But Akaka "adds it appears the situation will get worse before it gets better, because it will take years and significant resources to fully train new VA claims staff."

2.      Review Said To Offer Chance For Gulf War Syndrome Victims To Be Treated Fairly. In continuing coverage, an editorial in the St. Petersburg (FL) Times (3/2) says that if the "victims of Gulf War syndrome are ever to be treated justly" by VA, the "first step came last week," when the agency "said it would review potentially thousands of disability claims and update regulations affecting veterans, suggesting that some may finally get the compensation they deserve for service to their country." The Times notes that the Obama Administration has "charged a task force with redefining how ill veterans are treated," then adds, "VA Secretary Eric Shinseki calls the task force's recommendations a 'new approach' to how these veterans will be compensated by the VA. Those are promising words and hopefully not empty ones."

3.      Rural Veterans Health Care Advisory Committee To Meet In Tennessee. On its website, WJHL-TV Tri-Cities TN, VA (3/1, Overbay, 45K) said an "advisory committee will meet at Mountain Home this week to find ways to improve health care for veterans who live in rural areas." The panel, which is "made up of health care leaders from around the country," will "meet for two days in Johnson City this week and hopes to submit a final report of its findings to the US Secretary of Veterans Affairs soon after." East Tennessee State University's East Tennessean (3/1, 148K) also covered this story.

4.      DOD, Shinseki Criticized For Burn Pit Statements. In an entry on the Huffington Post (3/2) columnist R. B. Stuart notes, "Defense officials say that health effects as a result of exposure to burn pit smoke are likely to be 'temporary' and should 'clear-up' once troops return home" from Iraq. Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki "concurred, 'Most toxic materials from burn pits may be eliminated from the bodies of exposed veterans in a matter of days or weeks.' If burn pit smoke is so harmless, then I invite VA Secretary Shinseki and DoD officials to take their kids to Talil, Iraq this summer instead of Disney World."

5.      OPM Director Praises Shinseki. In a Government Executive (3/2) column profiling Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry, Alyssa Rosenberg notes that Berry "says it's been easy to reach out to senior administration leaders -- including Labor Secretary Hilda L. Solis and Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki, who are chairing the council overseeing the veterans hiring initiative -- because they see human capital issues as a priority."

6.      VA Hospitals In Pennsylvania Help Returning Vets Readjust. The Philadelphia Inquirer (3/1, Slobodzian, 326K) reported that on Sunday, "about 360...members of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard's 56th Stryker Brigade -- home after nine months in Iraq -- reported for duty" at the Veterans Affairs medical center in Philadelphia's University City "to face another challenge: Adjusting to civilian life." Typically, "post-deployment drills are held at military facilities." After noting that the drill "was the first" at the VA hospital in Philadelphia, the Inquirer said another such "drill for about 400 soldiers was...held," also on Sunday, at the VA hospital in Coatesville.

7.      Iraq Memories Trouble Couple. The Naperville (IL) Sun (3/2, Carlman, 15K) profiles Iraq veterans Sarah Raby and Keith Ellis, a couple who are "part of a swelling population of military veterans...bringing home from Iraq and Afghanistan memories of sights, sounds, smells and scars that now dog them, every day." The Sun notes that Raby "sees a psychologist" at Hines Veterans Affairs Hospital "every few weeks." According to a related story in the Naperville (IL) Sun (3/1, Carlman, 15K), the US VA "and other agencies project that between 15 percent and 35 percent of those involved in Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (which the Obama Administration...renamed Operation New Dawn) sooner or later will show symptoms of depression," post-traumatic stress disorder, "or other psychological troubles as a result of their combat experiences."

8.      Portland Vet Center Therapist Using Dreams To Treat PTSD. The Oregonian (3/2, Goldsmith, 276K) notes the work being done by at the Portland Vet Center by Lori Daniels, a post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) therapist "who works with dreams. Dreamwork, as Daniels calls it, is based on the idea that we can rewrite our own nightmares and make them less troubling." The Oregonian continues, "The results are often stunning, she says," adding, "People have reported the nightmare doesn't come back, or if it does, it's not horrifying."

9.      VA Psychologist Encourages Vets Suffering From PTSD To Undergo Treatment. On its website, the National Journal (3/2, 12K) notes that it met with Dr. Stacey Pollack, a clinical psychologist with the Department of Veterans Affairs, "for her perspective on the battle against" post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which "has increased in recent years." Pollack, "who also serves as trauma services director" at the VA hospital in Washington, DC, "says that although she tries to encourage vets suffering PTSD to undergo treatment, 'I don't ever pretend to understand exactly what they go through.'"

10.    Court Offers Chance To Veterans Who Commit Non-Violent Crimes. According to a report aired by CBS Evening News (3/1, story 5, 4:30, Couric, 6.1M), the "return home can be a very tough adjustment" for Americans who "have served in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan," and "it's led some to a life of drug abuse and crime." But in Rochester, New York, Judge Patricia Marks has "started a special court designed to give veterans who commit non-violent crimes" a chance at probation if they promise to go straight. CBS noted, however, that "in the entire United States, there are only 17 veterans courts" like the one in Rochester.

11.    New Jersey Expands Program Designed To Help Veterans Accused Of Crimes. The New Jersey Newsroom (3/2, Hester) reports the Veterans Assistance Project, a "program designed to assist military veterans who become entangled in the New Jersey court system," has "expanded into Mercer County." The project "is a combined effort of the court system, the state departments of Military and Veterans Affairs, and Human Services, and the state Division of Mental Health Services, to provide referrals to existing community services as well as mentors for veterans.

12.    New Jersey To Honor Hunterdon County Veterans. The Hunterdon County (NJ) Democrat (3/2) reports, "Retired Army Col. Stephen G. Abel, deputy commissioner for Veterans Affairs, New Jew Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, will present state military awards to 16 Hunterdon County veterans on March 2." The ceremony, to be held at Bridgewater Commons in Somerset County, will mark "start of a three-day visit of the veterans outreach kiosk," where "veterans and their family members could learn more about benefits or entitlements that they could be eligible to receive."

13.    Study: Small Cut In US Sodium Consumption Would Save Lives, Money. HealthDay (3/2, Gardner) reports, "A combined government-industry initiative to reduce US sodium consumption by as little as 10 percent would save thousands of lives and billions of dollars, according" to a "study in the March 2 issue of Annals of Internal Medicine." The study's lead author, Dr. Crystal Smith-Spangler, "with the Veterans Administration Palo Alto Healthcare System," commented on the findings, stating, "If manufacturers were able to work with us and decrease sodium in processed food, it would be easier to decrease sodium intake." Science Daily (3/2) and Reuters (3/2, Steenhuysen) publish similar stories.

14.    VA Funding Diabetes Research. The Dallas Morning News (3/2, Weiss, 350K) reports Dr. Robert Unger, a "longtime diabetes researcher at UT Southwestern Medical School," is "setting up human tests for a new treatment he says might have fewer side effects than standard insulin therapy." The "tests using leptin, a natural hormone produced by fat cells, would build on results of experiments performed by Unger's research team and published" Monday "in a major scientific journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences." According to the Morning News, the research that led to the paper "was funded by the Veterans Administration, the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, and several private donors."

15.    Value Of VA's Aid And Attendance Program Noted. The Hartford (CT) Courant (3/2, Labossiere) says the US Department of Veterans Affairs' Aid and Attendance pension program "may be the lifeline some veterans need to continue living in nursing facilities without depleting their savings." After noting, "Aid and Attendance as been around since 1953, but most veterans don't know about it, officials said," the Courant adds, "In a state with one of the oldest populations in the country, knowledge of this kind of special funding would help many residents, said Julia Evans Starr, executive director of the Connecticut Commission on Aging."

16.    Bicyclists Pushing For Restored Access To Los Angeles National Cemetery. The Santa Monica (CA) Daily Press (3/2, Taborek) notes that "since "shortly after Sept. 11, 2001," the Los Angeles National Cemetery "has been closed off to bike traffic, he said, forcing riders to take longer, more dangerous routes to travel between Santa Monica and Westwood Village." And now, a "group of Westside bicyclists that supports restoring bike access to the cemetery...has met with opposition" from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Mary Jones, VA's "cemetery representative in Los Angeles, said bikes are barred from entering the cemetery because regulations prohibit using the grounds for recreational activities."

17.    Vietnam Vet To Bike Cross-Country, Raise Money For Homeless Comrades. The Huffington Post (3/2) reports, "Professional photographer and Vietnam vet Jerry Nelson plans to set off on a cross-country bicycle ride on March 19 to raise money and awareness" for homeless vets. Nelson "credits the Veterans Administration with providing him with resources to keep him from being homeless, but he worries about others who may not seek out that help." The Post adds, "Nelson hopes to raise $10,000 for the Asheville Homeless Network." The Mountain XPress (3/2, Sandford), a newspaper in Asheville, North Carolina, also covers this story.

18.    SAVAHCS Hosts Four Chaplains Memorial Service. The Green Valley (AZ) News And Sun (3/1, Ford, 13K) notes that on February 21st, the Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System "hosted the Four Chaplains Memorial Service," which honored "four courageous World War II chaplains: Lt. Clark Poling, a Dutch Reformed clergyman; Lt. Alexander David Goode, a rabbi; Lt. George Lansing Fox, a Methodist clergyman; and Lt. John Washington, a Catholic priest."

19.    Hagan Visits Hefner VAMC, Sees Work Being Funded By Stimulus. The Salisbury (NC) Post (3/2, Jenkins, 21K) reports US Sen. Kay R. Hagan (R-NC) "stopped in Salisbury on Monday to see work being funded by federal stimulus dollars" at the W.G. (Bill) Hefner Veterans Affairs Medical Center. After noting that according to Hagan's office, four projects at the hospital are being paid for with $5.7 million in stimulus grants the Post adds, "VA officials say the projects - which will take up to a year to complete - will provide between 15 and 20 jobs apiece at any given time, with most of those jobs filled by local workers."
     The NEWS14-TV Charlotte, NC (3/1) website said hospital renovations "that were expected to take five years will be done in one thanks to $6 million in economic stimulus funding, and the work will be done by veteran-owned companies. Rene Guerrero, the owner of one of those companies," led Hagan "through one of the projects...Monday, giving her a firsthand look at how the stimulus money was being put to use."

20.    VA Hospital In Nevada To Receive $5 Million. In continuing coverage, the KTVN-TV Reno, NV (3/1, Potter) website notes that the Veterans Affairs hospital in Reno "is about to receive $5 million in economic recovery dollars" that will, among other things, "help repair elevators and heating and cooling units inside the facility." KTVN added, "The medical center faces more demand from wounded vets coming back from the Mideast, and by an aging vet population from the Korean and Vietnam Wars. "Twenty-two exam rooms were opened in October of '09. We also opened a women's clinic."

21.    Bowling Tournament Raises Money For Erie VA Women Veterans Program. WICU-TV Erie, PA (3/1, 5:24 p.m. ET) broadcast, "Hundreds of bowlers and 40 organizations teamed up" on Sunday "for the 8th Annual Hometown Heroes Bowling Tournament," which brought in "about $5,000." That money "goes to the... Women Veterans Program" at the Veterans Affairs hospital in Erie.

22.    Overton Brooks VAMC To Raise Funds By Hosting Run. The Shreveport (LA) Times (3/2) reports the Overton Brooks Veterans Affairs Medical Center "will hold the Warrior Run at Clyde Fant Parkway near Stoner Avenue in Shreveport at 8 a.m. Saturday. The 10K/5K walk/run will raise money" for the hospital's "volunteer service programs." Through "Monday, more than 200 people had registered."

23.    Students Make Cookies, Cards For Veterans. In a front page story, the Albany (NY) Times Union (3/2, A1, Patterson) reports, "A dozen students" in "Dixie Almy's Family and Consumer Science program," a "new culinary class at Schoharie Central School," recently "made more than 300 heart-shaped sugar cookies, decorating each with frosting, while" those in Almy's "seventh-grade class -- all 78 students -- made more than 100 cards that pertained to the history of the Schoharie Valley." The cookies, a "Valentine's Day treat," were "then bagged and delivered with the cards to the Stratton Veterans Affairs Medical Center Hospital."

24.    Researchers Find Alternative Treatment For PTSD. The Daily Texan (3/2, Noble), the student newspaper for the University of Texas at Austin, reports, "UT professors have discovered possible alternative treatments for post-traumatic stress disorder, which currently affects at least one out of every eight veterans, according" to the US Department of Veterans Affairs. The Texan adds, "Ivan Ponomarev and R. Adron Harris, both researchers with UT's Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research, worked together with researchers in California to explore new methods of treating post-traumatic stress disorder." The researchers' findings, "which were published in February on the science journal Nature's Web site, suggest" drugs known as HDAC inhibitors may be useful in treating the disorder.

25.    Veterans Need A New Bus For Transport To VA Hospital. The Hudson (NY) Register Star (3/2, Olsen, 5K).

26.    Soldier From Stuart Ready To Leave Hospital After Bout With Virus Contracted In Haiti. The Stuart, Florida-based Treasure Coast Palm (3/2, Mattise) reports, "Stuart native and soldier Chris Lust should be released from Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio this week after almost a month fighting a potentially fatal bacterial infection he contracted while on duty in Haiti, said his mother Lorilei Lust." The 33-year-old "Army warrant officer was airlifted with a doctor Friday from James A. Haley Veterans Hospital in Tampa to San Antonio to continue treatment for leptospirosis, a disease generally induced by contact with contaminated water in undeveloped conditions." The WPTV-TV West Palm Beach, FL (3/1) website published the same story.

27.    2,000 Slots Left For March 21 LA Marathon. The Los Angeles (CA) Daily News (3/2) reports, "Only about 2,000 slots are left for people wishing to enter the March 21 L.A. Marathon, race organizers said" recently. The "26.2-mile race will wind through downtown Los Angeles, then move through Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and the Veterans Administration Healthcare Center grounds in West Los Angeles before finishing in Santa Monica." The KTLA-TV Los Angeles, CA (3/1) website published a similar story.

28.    Vet Benefits. The Daily Vanguard (3/2, Hannan), a student newspaper for Portland State University in Portland, Oregon.

29.    Gratitude At The Slopes. The Gettysburg (MD) Times (3/1, Messeder).

30.    WWII Veteran, 84, Gets Diploma. McClatchy (3/2, Smith).

31.    Honoring The 'Forgotten.' The Fort Dodge (IA) Messenger (3/2, Mutchler, 16K).

32.    Treasure Trove. The Altoona (PA) Mirror (3/2, Kibler, 32K) reports "extraordinary items" have been found "in a collection that recently came to the attention of leaders at Altoona's" Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3.

33.    Operation Proud Eagle IV Fundraiser In Stuart To Benefit Veterans Group. The Stuart, Florida-based Treasure Coast Palm (3/2).

34.    Fundraiser Set To Support Service Members And Families. The Jamestown (ND) Sun (3/1).

35.    New Rules Considered For Rockland's Veterans Cemeteries. The Westchester (NY) Journal News (3/2, Incalcaterra).

36.    Orange County Vets' Cemetery Is 10 Years Old. Middletown, New York's Mid-Hudson News (3/2).

37.    The Art Of War: Works Connect Past To Present And Help Tell Warriors' Stories. The Salt Lake Tribune (3/2, LaPlante, 120K).

38.    On the Hill for March 2, 2010:

The Senate is scheduled to hold a procedural vote on a judicial nomination. A vote on confirmation is also possible.

The Senate may then continue consideration of a bill to extend several expiring tax provisions and other programs.

The House votes on a number of minor resolutions as well as a bill to reauthorize a program to plan for and respond to natural hazards.

House:  Convenes 2 p.m.

        Under suspension of the rules:

H Res 1097 — National Engineers Week

HR 3820 — Natural hazards risk reduction

H Res 747 West Point

H Res 699 — Military recognition

H Res 812 — Military working dogs

H Res 1072 Louisiana State University

H Res 1117 California State University system

H Res 1111 — Read Across America Day

H Res 1112 Penn State dance marathon

H Res 362 — School lunch program

Senate:  Convenes 10 a.m.  / Weekly caucus lunches: 12:30-2:15 p.m.

        Roll call votes expected.

NominationBarbara Milano Keenan to be a U.S. circuit judge

HR 4213 — Extending various programs (tentative)

            Markup

House Rules considers rules for floor debate for a bill on the use of physical restraint on students ( HR 4247 ). 5 p.m., H-313 Capitol

            Hearing Highlights

Senate Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee hearing on fiscal 2011 funding for the Agriculture Department, with Secretary Tom Vilsack . 10 a.m., 192 Dirksen

Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation hearing on the government response to the Toyota recall, with Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood . 10 a.m., 253 Russell

House Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee hearing on fiscal 2011 funding for the Homeland Security Department. 2 p.m., 2359 Rayburn

Senate Veterans’ Affairs and House Veterans’ Affairs joint hearing to receive legislative presentations from the Disabled American Veterans. 2 p.m., 345 Cannon

House Education and Labor hearing on federal child nutrition programs. 2:30 p.m., 2175 Rayburn

39.    Today in History:

VA News for Monday, March 1, 2010

1.      Generally Favorable Reaction Meets VA New Look At "Gulf War Illness" Disability Claims. Generally favorable reaction greeted the decision of VA Secretary Shinseki, reported in a widely picked-up AP (2/27, Hefling) article yesterday, to "take a second look at the disability claims of what could be thousands of Gulf War veterans suffering from illnesses they blame on their war service, the first step toward potentially compensating them nearly two decades after the war ended. In addition to the favorable response, reported in the original article, of the American Legion's legislative director, most other reported reactions were positive.
     KXXV-TV Waco, TX (2/26, Talbert) reports that Robert Carter, an area Vietnam-era and Gulf War veteran "spoke with Secretary Shinseki last week, pleading with him to take a look at the Gulf War again. 'He said, I'll do just that. I guess he certainly did,' said Carter."
     WCMH-TV Columbus, OH (2/26, Lee) reports on a local Gulf War Air Force veteran, who experienced medical problems, including tumors, upon returning from the war zone, and was ultimately diagnosed as having Gulf War syndrome, following which "things at the VA changed. 'They quit talking about it. It's seems like something came down and said this isn't established, don't use this term,' he said." The veteran figures that, now the agency has several decades of added research and the physicals of thousands of veterans of that theater. "If this announcement is a result of hey we've got the data now, we think we can figure what this is. How to treat it, that's good." He said.
     At least one state veterans agency was quick to pledge cooperation with the new VA effort. The Springfield (IL) State Journal Register (2/26, Hopf) reports, "Illinois veterans officials say they will do whatever they can to help Gulf War veterans who have been denied aid for illnesses related to their war service."
     A Dallas Morning News (2/26, Mitchell) editorial opined, "It's never easy to read the intent of the Department of Veterans Affairs, especially when they're talking about 'Gulf War illness.' However, this mention from VA secretary Eric Shinseki caught my eye. He's promising a 'fresh. bold look' to help vets who complain of Gulf war illness. This supposedly includes training clinic staffers who work with Gulf War vets to make sure that they simply don't tell vets that their symptoms are imaginary." He questions, however, how the VA's new policy "with the VA's decision to cut research ties with the UT Southwestern Medical Center," which he done much early and controversial work on the "Gulf War syndrome." Taking a noncommittal stand, he concludes, "A lot of what Shinseki is saying depends on whether vets trust the VA as their ally and continue to see it as an agency primed to deny expensive disability claims. We'll see."
     The most negative reaction comes from the Salt Lake Tribune (2/26, LaPlante), which says that "Gulf War veterans suffering from illnesses they blame on their service say the Department of Veterans Affairs has a lot to prove." After noting Shinseki's remarks to the AP that the agency will take a "fresh, bold look" at previously disallowed claims, the Tribune adds, "But after dealing with years of government denial, and nearly two decades in which many former

military members have been unable to win compensation for a slew of symptoms often called 'Gulf War Illness,' advocates say they're not ready to praise the VA for its plan." It also cites wait-and-see reactions from the commander of the Utah chapter of the Disabled Veterans of America and the head of the National Gulf War Resource Center.

2.      Shinseki, Veterans Affairs Committee Discuss Agency Budget. The website of KITV-TV Honolulu (2/26) reports that VA Secretary Shinseki and Senate Veterans Affairs chairman HI Sen. Daniel Akaka (D) "discussed reforming the Department of Veterans Affairs disability claims system at a hearing Friday on Capitol Hill. Akaka said he is encouraged by the Obama administration's 'commitment to add thousands of staff to process veterans' disability claims, but we should be candid: it appears that the situation will get worse before it gets better.'" The account notes that the $125 billion requested by Obama's budget is "an increase of nearly $11 billion from the previous year," including $4 billion more for the VA's medical care account.
     The Air Force Times (2/26, Maze) adds that "Key senators said Friday they are pleased that the Veterans Affairs Department is hiring more than 4,000 more claims processors, but they are worried this won't result in most veterans getting their disability benefits any faster. VA Secretary Eric Shinseki acknowledged that immediate progress might be elusive. It will take up to two years to fully train the new workers, even as the number of claims being filed continues to climb, he said in testimony before the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee."

3.      Veterans Affairs Review Outlines Changes In Addressing Gulf War Issues. In a press release (2/27), Secretary of Veterans Affairs Shinseki "announced that the department's Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses Task Force has nearly completed a comprehensive report that will redefine how VA addresses the pain and suffering of ill Veterans who deployed during the Gulf War in 1990 and 1991." Charged with identifying gaps in services and opportunities to better serve Gulf War veterans, the VA's Gulf War Task Force, chaired by VA chief of staff John Gingrich, recommended review, and if necessary, revision of regulations affecting Gulf War veterans. In addition, the Task Force also called for: improved data sharing with the Department of Defense to identify potential exposures and monitor and inform veterans; expanded training for VBA examiners on how to handle disability claims with multiple known toxin exposure; improving VA healthcare through interdisciplinary health education and training; moving to proactive surveillance of potentially hazardous exposures; increasing long-term, veteran-focused studies of healthcare quality; new research on treatments; and improved outreach and guidance to veterans on associated benefits and services. The Department's release also noted that of the nearly 700,000 Gulf War veterans, "there have been 300,000 Gulf War Veterans with claims decisions, over 85 percent were granted service connection for at least one condition, and over 14 percent were not granted service connection for any condition."

4.      Pentagon Criticized For How It Treats Vets But VA Praised. In continuing coverage, the Seattle Times (3/1, 225K) complains in an editorial that too often, news coming out of Washington, DC, reveals poor treatment of veterans, as was demonstrated when the Pentagon "abruptly pulled the plug on a popular program that gave military spouses financial aid for college tuition and professional licenses and certification." The Times adds, however, that Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki "struck a different note last week, when he announced he would reopen review of disability claims filed by Gulf War veterans." The Times, which says the VA is also "moving quicker on preliminary data showing dramatic increases in veterans suicides," is pleased that these "vital topics are getting a closer, respectful review."

5.      Resource Directory Compiles Sources Of Aid. Covering a February 25 announcement, the NavyTimes.com (2/26, Kennedy) reports, "To help wounded, ill and injured service members, veterans and their families navigate the multitude of Web sites offering help, several federal agencies have launched the free National Resource Directory, which organizes more than 10,000 Web sites into user-friendly bites." In a press statement, VA Secretary Eric Shinseki said that his agency "is committed to tapping into the full powers of the Internet to provide accurate, timely, easy-to-find and easy-to-understand information that improves the lives of veterans, service members, their families and all who care for them." Besides the VA, the Departments of Defense and Labor coordinated to create the site.

6.      Senate Veterans' Affairs Schedules Hearing On Mental Health, Suicide Prevention. The AP weekly news calendar (2/26) noted that Senate Veterans' Affairs will hold a hearing on Wednesday, March 3 on mental health care and suicide prevention for veterans."

7.      Writing, Therapy Help Iraq Veteran Cope With PTSD. The Spokane (WA) Spokesman-Review (2/28, Boggs) reports on how VA therapy and a college writing course helped a Iraq war combat engineer adjust to post-deployment life in Idaho. Two years after leaving the service, he "began therapy at Spokane's VA Medical Center." The veteran, who "has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and has a disability claim pending with the Department of Veterans Affairs," says that ""Writing what happened down makes it so you don't have to think about it every day."

8.      "Alarming" Increase In US Army Suicides Noted. McClatchy (3/1, Abdullah) notes, "Last month, the Defense Department reported that there were 160 reported active-duty Army suicides in 2009, up from 140 in 2008." And, while the "military's suicide rate is comparable to civilian rates, the increase is alarming because the armed services traditionally had lower suicide rates than the general population." McClatchy focuses much of it coverage 33-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Daniel Wimmer, who committed suicide in 2009, leaving behind a family which is "still caught in the dark currents that took his life."

9.      VA's IT Patient Safety Program Noted. Government Health IT (3/1, Mosquera) says that while electronic health records (EHRs) are "considered key to improving the quality of healthcare," they "can also be a risk to patient safety, and government and industry officials are calling for better use practices and possible closer oversight of EHRs by regulatory agencies." A "Feb. 25 hearing of the Health IT Policy Committee's adoption and certification work group, a Health and Human Services Department advisory panel," was "called specifically to examine HIT safety concerns and how to handle them." Government Health IT adds, "The Veterans Affairs Department has had an IT Patient Safety program for several years, said Jean Scott, director of the Veterans Health Administration's Information Technology Patient Safety Office."
     Hospitals, Medical Offices Moving Toward Electronic Records. In a front page story, the
Fresno (CA) Bee (2/16, A1, Anderson) reported on a "sweeping move toward electronic medical records at hospitals and medical offices across the country," including in California's central San Joaquin Valley. Sean McFarland, a veterans hospital nurse "who has a master's degree in nursing informatics, an emerging field of health information technology," commented on the situation, stating, "At some point, everyone will have some form of electronic medical record." The Bee added, however, "According to one recent survey, only 1.5% of 3,049 hospitals have a comprehensive electronic-records system."
     VA Official Touts Benefits Of Electronic Records. In a letter to the editor of the
Fresno (CA) Bee (2/22), Veterans Affairs Central California Healthcare System Director Al Perry, praised the Bee's story, then noted that a VA hospital "actually introduced computerized records" to California's "Central Valley in 2001 and never looked back." Perry added that as the Bee's story "points out, the patient care gains are substantial."

10.    US Military Commanders Say It Is Time To Review Ban On Women In Combat. AFP (3/1, De Luce) reports, "US commanders are taking a second look at policies that bar women from ground combat, as the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have thrust female soldiers into the thick of the fight. The Army chief of staff, General George Casey, told lawmakers last week that it was time to review the rules in light of how women have served in the two wars." However, even "as the military signaled a willingness to break with tradition when it comes to women's roles, Casey and other top commanders have voiced apprehension and even outright opposition to allowing gays to serve openly."

11.    Army Chief Of Staff Promises More Time Between Deployments. The Washington Post /AP (2/26, 10:04 PM, McAvoy) reports, "Soldiers are getting to spend more time at home between combat deployments as the U.S. military draws down in Iraq and the Army grows in size, the service's chief of staff said Friday. Gen. George Casey told reporters during a visit to Hawaii's largest Army post that soldiers are able to recover better from their deployments when they spend more time at home in between missions in war zones. It allows them to spend time with their families and has the added benefit of giving soldiers time to train for a variety of missions -- not just for the counterinsurgency demands of Iraq and Afghanistan." The average time between deployments has risen from 12 months to between 14 and 15 months, with increasing numbers getting 17 to 18 months, moving closer to the Army's goal of two years between deployments.

12.    Veterans Groups Seek Mobile Clinic For Honesdale, PennsylvaniaThe Wayne (PA) Independent (2/27, Zwick) reports that two veterans group updated Wayne County commissioners on the status of efforts to obtain a VA mobile clinic in the Honesdale, Pennsylvania area. The report noted that such a facility has been requested by the director of the Wilkes-Barre VAMC.

13.    VA Working "Diligently" On North Dakota Clinic Contract. The Dickinson (ND) Press (2/27, Wischmeyer) reported, "An estimated 800 patients of the Dickinson community-based outpatient clinic, which provides medical care for veterans in the Dickinson area, may have to look elsewhere for care after May 1, when the contract with Great Plains Clinic officially ends." Leslie Ross, "Stark/Dunn County veteran service officer," said the news is "devastating to southwest North Dakota veterans," but Peggy Wheelden, public affairs officer for the Fargo Veterans Affairs Medical Center, "said the VA has contracting staff 'diligently' working toward procuring a new contract in Dickinson." The AP (3/1) notes that the "Dickinson clinic has been open for three years."

14.    Connecticut Plans Memorial For State's Veterans. The Hartford Courant (2/26, Falcone) reports that the state plans to erect a veterans memorial on a grassy knoll in Rocky Hill next to a state veterans cemetery and across for a state veterans home. A design competition is underway, with groundbreaking planned for this spring or summer and completion by the end of this year.

15.    Connecticut Contest For Veterans' Memorial Design Is Noted. The Hartford Courant /AP (2/27) reports, "Connecticut wants ideas from residents for the design of its first statewide memorial honoring veterans who have served over the centuries. The Connecticut State Veterans Memorial design competition kicked off Friday and runs through April 14, the deadline for entries." The winning design will be used for a memorial that will be created near a state veteras cemetery and state veterans home in Rocky Hill.

16.    Elderly Man Walking Away From State Veterans' Home Is Tasered. WITI-TV (2/27, DeVries, 4:45 a.m. EST) reports that an area Sheriff's Department "used a stun gun on an 84-year-old man. The man was near the Wisconsin Veterans' Home near Waupaca this week." According to the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs, the man started walking away from the Wisconsin Veterans' Home at King." Apparently distraught because his wife had died, he "was combative, and the Waupaca County Sheriff's department was called."

17.    Florida Female Veterans Experience Discrimination, Rehabilitation. A Bradenton (FL) Herald (2/27, Mannix, 47K) column describes the divergent experiences of area women veterans who came to hear an outreach talk by Florida state women veterans coordinator from the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs. One, a Vietnam-era Navy nurse, recounted that she became the family breadwinner when her husband went to college, but learned that he, unlike the wives of servicemen, did not qualify for dependent benefits. With two and a half years in the service, she was discharged after she became pregnant. But a younger female veteran, who was an Air Force K9 handler for about eight years in the 1990's, after being injured on the job, "was able get necessary assistance from the Veterans Administration." After receiving rehabilitation, she is now "a compensated disabled veteran who receives health care and school benefits."

18.    Illinois Commemorates Its Fallen In Gulf Wars. The Chicago Tribune /AP (2/27) reports, "Illinois is remembering its warriors from the Persian Gulf War. Sunday is Desert Storm Remembrance Day in the state. There also was a memorial service in the Capitol Friday for the 14 service members who died during the war's Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm."

19.    VA Program Helps Homeless Connecticut Vet. The Waterbury (CT) Republican-American (2/28, Overton) said an "18-month descent into homelessness and despair" for veteran Shellyann Burke ended recently "after she got a federal housing voucher meant to help homeless veterans like herself find permanent housing and supportive services." Burke is "one of the first homeless veterans in the Waterbury" to obtain a voucher through a program -- administered by the US Department of Veterans Affairs and funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development -- that is also providing her with "mental health and job services.

20.    Iraq Veterans, VAMC Doctor Included In Story On Drug-Resistant Bacteria. In a New York Times (2/27, B1, Pollack) article on Gram-negative bacteria, a growing health risk because there are resistant to nearly all drugs, so few drugs reports, notes that one variety "came to wide attention a few years ago in infections of soldiers wounded in Iraq." The report also quotes an infectious-disease specialist from the Cleveland VAMC on the threat the newly-emerging bacteria pose.

21.    VA Awards Claims Processing Contract. Signal Magazine (2/26, Kenyon) reports that the Department of Veterans Affairs "has awarded CSC a contract to provide health care claims processing systems and services. The task order has a one-year base period and four one-year options. Under the contract, CSC and its subcontractor, Plexis Healthcare Systems, will provide the Department of Veterans Affairs Financial Services Center with software for a healthcare claims processing system."

22.    State Veterans Agency Seeks Duluth Cemetery Site. WDIO-TV Duluth, MN (2/26, Drag) reports, "The Department of Veterans Affairs is looking for people in the Duluth area to donate land for a new veterans cemetery. The agency has resorted to donations, since plans to develop a cemetery in Jay Cooke State Park fell through. They are looking for 60 to 120 acres, within a 75-mile radius of Duluth. Officials say there is a great need for a cemetery in this area, because we have an estimated 21,000 vets in northeastern Minnesota."

23.    VA Announces $41 Million in Construction Contracts for San Antonio VAMC. The San Antonio Business Journal (2/27) reports that the Department of Veterans Affairs announced that two contracts had been awarded to create a "polytrauma center" for the most severely injured veterans and to improve the existing wards of the Audie L. Murphy VA Medical Center. The contracts together totaled $41.5 million, with $37.2 million slated for the polytrauma center and $4.3 million for the other improvements.

24.    South Texas VA Salutes Women Vets. The Kerrville (TX) Daily Times (3/1, Sampson, 9K) reports, "Female soldiers and sailors have not always been given the same respect as their male counterparts, says Debbie Powell, a 20-year veteran of the Navy and Naval Reserves," who made her comments while speaking "to a crowd of several hundred female veterans, friends and family members at the Kathleen C. Cailloux City Center for the Performing Arts on Saturday for the 19th Annual Salute to Women Veterans." Powell's speech, "which rallied the crowd to applause several times, was the keynote address of the annual Salute to Women Veterans hosted by the Kerrville Division of the South Texas Veterans Affairs Health System."

25.    Financing Secured For Cleveland VAMC Expansion. Crain's Cleveland Business (2/26, Kass) reports, "A deal has been reached to finance the expansion of Cleveland's Veterans Affairs hospital. The Louis Stokes Veterans Affairs Medical Center has had trouble securing financing in the difficult credit cycle. Fifth Third Securities Inc. said Thursday it had served as the financial adviser and structuring agent for a $115 million bond deal to help renovate and expand the hospital." The Cleveland-Cuyahoga County Port Authority issued taxable, lease-revenue bonds, and a special tax increment financing district was also created as part of the package.

26.    VA Assessment Team Tours Joliet Hospital. The Kankakee (IL) Daily Journal (2/26, Themer) reports that the VA's new Undersecretary for Health on Tuesday told a House Veterans Affairs hearing that the agency "is very optimistic" that Silver Cross Hospital in Joliet "is going to meet our needs and is going to work well in out system." Dr. Robert Petzel gave that assessment to IL11 Rep. Deborah Halvorson (D) a day after a full VA facility assessment team had toured the Joliet facility.

27.    Shreveport VAMC Holds Groundbreaking For Mental Health Wing. The Shreveport (LA) Times (2/26) reports that the VA Medical Center in Shreveport had scheduled a groundbreaking ceremony for a new mental health wing, the facility's first major project in seven years.

28.    Northampton VAMC Gets New Director. WAMC-FM Albany, NY (2/26, Tuthill) reports that Roger Johnson has been named the new director of the VA Medical Center in Northampton, Massachusetts. He had work there for several years at the end of the 1980s, before becoming associate diretor of the Bronx VAMC and then director of the Connectivut VAMC.

29.    Commemorative Coin Issued To Honor Disabled Veterans. In an Enhanced Online News (2/26) release, the United States Mint announced that a commemorative 2010 American Veterans Disabled for Life Silver Dollar was issued Thursday at a reception at the Russell Senate Office Building, with proceeds from sales of the coin going to support construction of the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial in Washington.

30.    Tampa Non-Profit Offers Scuba Lessons To Wounded Vets. The St. Petersburg Times (2/27, Neill) reports on Divers4Heroes, a local nonprofit that offers free introductory scuba lessons to any wounded veteran. Sponsored by the recreational rehabilitation program at James A. Haley VA Medical Center in Tampa, the firm has "introduced the sport to dozens of men and women, many of whom have gone on to obtain their own scuba certification."

31.    Palo Alto Chaplain Profiled. The Catholic News Service (2/25, DelVecchio) profiles a chaplain at the Palo Alto VAMC, a Capuchin who until age 40 was a corporate lawyer, who "does all he can to put the veterans at ease and in a good mood."

32.    Haley Veterans Hospital Sponsors Welcome Home Event For Veterans. The Northeast Tampa News & Tribune (2/26, McKenzie) reports, "Returning to civilian life after serving years in the military can be stressful, if not mind-boggling, for many veterans. The staff at the James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital is on a mission to help make the adjustment less worrisome by sponsoring the third annual Welcome Home America's Heroes event on March 13 at the University of South Florida Sun Dome." The manager of outreach programs for active-duty military members and veterans who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan says the event combines a homecoming with music, food and entertainment, along with a health fair, educational resources and recruiters from almost 50 companies.

33.    Non-Profit To Open Center For Disadvantaged Veterans In Tri-State Area. A US Newswire (2/28) release announces that the non-profit Veterans Support Organization "has opened an 8,500 sq. ft. veterans center" in Mount Vernon, New York designed to improve employment and life skills for veterans who are disabled, homeless or disadvantaged in the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut area. A grand opening has been scheduled for March 2.

34.    Disabled American Veterans Transportation Services Is Topic Of Seminar Talk. The Ellwood City (PA) Ledger (2/28) reports that the volunteer coordinator for the Veterans Affairs Health Care in Butler County, will speak at a noontime seminar on Disabled American Veterans Transportation services, volunteer opportunities for transportation and other veterans outreach opportunities.

35.    Veterans On The Street Grow. The Norwalk (CT) Hour (3/1, Kobak, 14K) reports, "As more soldiers come home from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, the number of homeless veterans is expected to rise dramatically, and the need for outreach programs is on the rise. The current economic environment paired with the stress and psychological trauma of combat heighten the susceptibility of veterans to homelessness, according to Laurie Harkness, the director of the Errera Center for the VA CT Healthcare system." Harkness "estimates that 650 new homeless veterans have taken advantage of the services offered by the state VA in the past year."

36.    UA Film Documents Veterans' Problems. The Tuscaloosa (AL) News (2/28, Boyd).

37.    Rising Threat Of Infections Unfazed By Antibiotics. The Tuscaloosa (AL) News (2/27) ran a story that originally appeared in the New York Times (2/27, B1, Pollack, 1.09M).

38.    Dream Of A Good Slumber? Adapt To Sleep Changes. The Seattle Times (3/1, Graham, 225K) reports, "Evidence-based recommendations for addressing sleep disorders in older adults, published late last year in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, are the latest significant contribution to the science of sleep in seniors." The Times adds, "'Implementing behavioral changes is very difficult for people to do without help,' said Dr. Cathy Alessi, a sleep expert at the Veterans Administration Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System."

39.    Glenbrook North Students Seek WWII Vets For Documentary Video. The Northbrook (IL) Star (2/27, Krochmal).

40.    Veteran Walking Across America Pays Tribute In Midland. The KOSA-TV Odessa, TX (2/28) website.

41.    Wounded Heroes Fundraiser Boosts Spirits. The Bakersfield Californian (3/1, 57K).

42.    Cookbook Raises $17,000 For Injured Marines, Families. The Annapolis (MD) Capital (2/27, Stephenson, 42K).

43.    Veterans Memorial Planned In Clear Spring. The Hagerstown (MD) Herald-Mail (2/28, Dearth, 31K).

44.    On the Hill for March 1, 2010:

The Senate resumes consideration Monday of a bill that would extend several expiring tax provisions and may also extend unemployment and COBRA health care benefits, as well as Medicaid funding.

A relatively light week is planned in the House, with the main floor action being on a bill intended to reduce the use of physical restraint on students.

House

Monday:  Not in session.

Tuesday:  Convenes 2 p.m.

        Under suspension of the rules:

H Res 1097 — National Engineers Week

HR 3820 — Natural hazards risk reduction

H Res 747 West Point

H Res 699 — Military recognition

H Res 812 — Military working dogs

H Res 1072 Louisiana State University

H Res 1117 California State University system

H Res 1111 — Read Across America Day

H Res 1112 Penn State dance marathon

H Res 362 — School lunch program

Wednesday: Convenes 10 a.m

Thursday: Convenes 10 a.m

H Res 1096 — Census Awareness Month

H Res 1079 New Orleans Saints

H Res 1082 America Saves Week

HR 2554 — National Association of Registered Agents and Brokers

H Con Res 239 , H Con Res 236 — Use of Capitol grounds

Subject to a rule:

HR 4247 — Physical restraint of students

Friday: No votes expected.

Senate

Monday:  Convenes 2 p.m.

        No roll call votes expected.

HR 4213 — Extending various programs

Tuesday – Friday:  Convene times TBA.

        Roll call votes expected.

NominationBarbara Milano Keenan to be a U.S. circuit judge

S 1451 — FAA authorization (tentative)

            Markups

House Rules considers rules for floor debate of a bill on the use of physical restraint on students ( HR 4247 ). 5 p.m. Tuesday, H-313 Capitol

Senate Energy and Natural Resources votes on nominations. Time TBA, Wednesday, 366 Dirksen

House Transportation and Infrastructure marks up legislation on building naming ( HR 4275 ), the Coast Guard ( H Res 1062 ), and draft bills on reauthorizing the National Transportation Safety Board, clean estuaries, and National Public Works Week. 10 a.m. Wednesday, 2167 Rayburn

House Agriculture marks up bills on state agricultural mediation programs ( HR 3509 ) and Florida land adjustment ( HR 3954 ). 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, 1300 Longworth

House Financial Services International Monetary Policy and Trade Subcommittee marks up a bill on debt relief for earthquake recovery in Haiti ( HR 4573 ). Time TBA, Thursday, 2128 Rayburn

House Foreign Affairs marks up a resolution on Armenian genocide ( H Res 252 ). 10 a.m. Thursday, 2172 Rayburn

Senate Judiciary marks up bills on cocaine sentencing disparities ( S 1789 ), concealed weapons for law enforcement officers ( S 1132 ), criminal justice grants ( S 2772 ), medical bankruptcy ( S 1624 ) and hate crimes against the homeless ( S 1765 ); also votes on pending nominations. 10 a.m. Thursday, 226 Dirksen

Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship marks up a bill on small-business contracting ( S 2989 ). 10 a.m. Thursday, 485 Russell

            Hearing Highlights

Senate Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee hearing on fiscal 2011 funding for the Agriculture Department, with Secretary Tom Vilsack . 10 a.m. Tuesday, 192 Dirksen

Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation hearing on the government response to the Toyota recall, with Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood . 10 a.m. Tuesday, 253 Russell

Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee hearing on fiscal 2011 funding for the Army. 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, 192 Dirksen

House Education and Labor hearing on the fiscal 2011 budget for the Education Department, with Secretary Arne Duncan . 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, 2175 Rayburn

House Budget hearing on fiscal 2011 budget requests. 10 a.m. Wednesday, 210 Cannon

Senate Energy and Natural Resources hearing on the fiscal 2011 budget for the Interior Department, with Secretary Ken Salazar . 10 a.m. Wednesday, 366 Dirksen

Senate Finance hearing on the 2010 trade agenda, with U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk . 10 a.m. Wednesday, 215 Dirksen

House Armed Services Subcommittee on Military Personnel hearing on repealing the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy regarding gay and lesbian military servicemembers. 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, 2118 Rayburn

Senate Transportation-HUD Appropriations Subcommittee hearing on fiscal 2011 spending for the Transportation Department, with Secretary Ray LaHood . 9:30 a.m. Thursday, 124 Dirksen

Joint Economic hearing to receive the unemployment statistics for February. 9:30 a.m. Friday, 106 Dirksen

45.    Today in History: