An Invitation to Help Shape The Future of HR--A Competency Model for The Profession, By The Profession

Dear SHRM Member:

SHRM will be launching a competency model and assorted tools for HR professional development in 2012.  Through careful research, more than 80 focus groups with 1,000 HR professionals worldwide, we've identified nine key competencies for effective HR leadership.

Now we ask for your assistance in validating the research.

For the first time in more than a decade, SHRM is conducting an all-member survey of nearly 260,000 HR professionals worldwide to authenticate our work. In the next week, you'll receive an e-mail asking you to participate in the survey. We'll ask you a few questions about all nine competencies and additional questions about one competency that you are randomly selected to answer.

By completing this survey, you will be helping us to take an important step in advancing the HR profession. Because of your participation, SHRM will be able to offer its members an effective development toolkit for the HR profession. You will have access to a vast array of information, plus a robust assessment tool that can confirm what you know as a professional-and where you can sharpen your skills.

SHRM has committed significant resources to this project because we believe it has the potential to advance the career of every HR professional who uses the assessment tool. I strongly encourage you to take the time to complete the survey when you receive it.

Please look for the survey in your e-mail inbox in the next week.

Regards,

J. Robert Carr, SPHR
Senior Vice President of Membership
Society for Human Resource Management