From: John O'Malley <john@omalley-consulting.com>
To: montalvoesq@yahoo.com
Sent: Thu, February 11, 2010 2:40:29 PM
Subject: TimeMatters, PCLaw, & Other Software

Eric-

As we discussed, you should be looking at 3 categories of software: practice management, billing, and bookkeeping.

In the category of practice management, you are already familiar with TimeMatters and, on its merits, I recommend TimeMatters. Out of the box, TimeMatters - and all practice management software - can appear a little daunting but TimeMatters is highly customizable and very powerful. The price to purchase TimeMatters is $905 for the first user and $525 for each additional user. As a certified consultant I can get a discount of at least 10% off that price for you.

In the categories of billing and bookkeeping, you have a number of choices. Lexis has stopped selling BillingMatters, which was, in effect, one program combined with TimeMatters for both billing and bookkeeping. In its place, Lexis offers PCLaw, which also offers both billing and bookkeeping. PCLaw is the billing/bookkeeping program which is most highly integrated with TimeMatters. The price to purchase PCLaw is $905 for the first user and $455 for each additional user. You must have at least as many users as you have timekeepers. Again, I can get a discount of at least 10% off the above price for you.

As Lexis subscribers, you are eligible to subscribe to Total Practice Advantage which gives you both TimeMatters and PCLaw as a monthly subscription instead of as a one-time purchase. I have asked my Lexis contact to give us a quote on that for 6 users and am waiting for him to get back to me.

Other options that we discussed included purchasing:

 - TABS3 for billing at a cost of $1,875 (for the multi-user version) and the associated suite of bookkeeping software for $2,655; or

 - Timeslips for billing at a cost of $1,998.99 and upgrading QuickBooks (to add users) and continuing to use QuickBooks for your bookkeeping.

You can mix & match these options so, for example, you could choose to use TimeMatters for practice mangement, TABS3 or PCLaw or Timeslips for billing, and continue to use QuickBooks for bookkeeping.

TimeMatters has links to all of the programs mentioned - PCLaw, TABS3, Timeslips, and QuickBooks - which allow for the exchange of information between TimeMatters and the other programs.

If you opt for the TABS3 suite of billing and bookkeeping software, you might also consider the related practice management software, Practice Master (this would take the place of TimeMatters and, thus, bears some further comparison). If you do this, however, I would recommend taking a closer look at the client-server version of this software which is faster and adds some functions. The client-server versions of TABS3 and its related suite of bookkeeping software is more expensive than the multi-user version quoted above.

Included in the prices quoted above for all the programs, is the price of an annual maintenance agreement. The annual maintenance agreement entitles you to technical support from the manufacturer for software issues and to any new versions of the software that are issued during the term of the agreement. You pay to renew the maintenance agreement each year.

My services include consulting, installation, setup, and training for any of the above and, if desired, customization for TimeMatters. My rate is $150 per hour for all services. I can give you a more detailed quote for my services when you're ready.

The requirements for TimeMatters and PCLaw are attached. TABS3 and Timeslips will have similar requirements.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

John

John F.P. O'Malley
O'Malley Consulting
Springfield, Virginia