House Passes Healthcare Reform

Title: AAJ - Membership

If you are having trouble viewing this email, you may read it online.

House Passes Healthcare Reform

March 22, 2010

Dear AAJ Members,

Last night, the U.S. House of Representatives voted 219-212 in favor of passing historic healthcare reform. We are pleased to report that this bill is free of any provision that would limit the rights of patients injured by medical malpractice. The alternatives to litigation program contained in the bill provides an absolute opt-out for plaintiffs.

Read Politico’s Coverage

President Obama is scheduled to sign this bill on Tuesday. The Senate will then begin debate on passing a “reconciliation patch” designed by the House of Representatives as a condition of passing. During this debate, amendments will be introduced demanding tort reform and attempting to limit the rights of patients. We are confident that our message is getting through – limiting the rights of patients will do little to reduce healthcare costs, and we must focus stopping the 98,000 deaths per year due to medical errors.

We will continue to keep you informed of developments. Thanks to all of you who have been fighting for your clients and taking an active role in our campaign to Protect Patients.

Sincerely,

Anthony Tarricone

American Association for Justice · 777 6th St. NW · Suite 200 · Washington, DC 20001 · 800-424-2725
If you prefer to not receive e-mails regarding AAJ products and services,
please reply with "No Products" in the subject.