Re: To Deal or not to Deal

Ok, thanks. Let me talk to Maigen and get her Human Resources opinion. I just don't want to end up back on the southside of Indy sellin dime bags to college kids. I will have an answer Monday morning.

From: Shinn Capt Scott R <scott.shinn@usmc.mil>
To: jim rowe <jroweusmc@yahoo.com>
Cc: Haytham Faraj <haytham@puckettfaraj.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:13 AM
Subject: RE: To Deal or not to Deal

Jim,
  We discussed this at length on the phone yesterday and I thought you understood... your GCM conviction is NOT a felony.  Explained further, there isn't a clear distinction between Special CMs/ General CMs vs. the misdemeanor/felony convictions on the civilian side.  Ultimately, itâs a state-by-state determination on whether a GCM = a felony, but I'm 99.999% sure that no state would consider your conviction a felony.

  That being said, whenever someone runs a background check on you the conviction will pop up and you'll have to explain what it means.  The toss-up here is whether you want to have to explain to potential employers about a GCM conviction or an OTH (or perhaps both if things go badly at the BOI).  Your VA benefits vested when you got your first honorable discharge so you don't have to worry about losing those, regardless.

  Realistically, the fight at the BOI will be an uphill battle but the worst that can happen is an OTH, which is exactly what you'd get if you waived the BOI.  Best case scenario is either retention (which you've said that don't want) or an Honorable discharge.

  Offering up a post-trial agreement waiving the BOI in exchange for setting aside the GCM is one option.  The other option is fighting at the BOI for a better characterization/retention, but we need to make a decision on which way you want to go relatively quickly.

Standing by...
~Russ