Fewer Top Law Grads Going to BigLaw; Twin Stunt Infuriates Judge; Is Longer Courthouse Wait Unconstitutional? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

The Top Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Editor's note: You're getting this Weekly message early because of the upcoming holiday weekend. Happy Holidays! - the ABA Journal staff

Also, this is your last week to vote in our 5th Annual Blawg 100 [http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/the_5th_annual_aba_journal_blawg_100] . To vote for your favorites until 4 p.m. CT Dec. 30, click here [http://www.abajournal.com/blawg100].

Careers
Even at Top Chicago Law Schools, Fewer Grads Go to Law Firms
Dec 19, 2011, 07:59 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/top_chicago_law_schools_stats_show_fewer_grads_going_to_law_firms/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: 700 Lawyers Apply for 12 Openings at DA's Office; Harvard Law Grad Likes the Job
Dec 20, 2011, 08:10 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/700_lawyers_apply_for_12_openings_at_das_office_harvard_law_grad_likes_the_/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Sign up for our FREE Daily Newsletter http://www.abajournal.com/stay_connected/newsletter/
------------------------------

Legal Ethics
Lawyer's Twin Stand-In Stunt at Preliminary Hearing Leaves Judge Furious
Dec 19, 2011, 07:35 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyers_twin_stand-in_stunt_at_preliminary_hearing_leaves_judge_furious/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Federal Judge Calls Blago Lawyer's New-Trial Motion 'Harebrained,' Says Contempt Ruling Could Result
Dec 19, 2011, 11:59 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/fedl_judge_calls_blago_lawyers_new_trial_motion_harebrained_says_contempt_r/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Court Security
Suit Claims Longer Courthouse Wait for Out-of-County Attorneys Is Unconstitutional
Dec 20, 2011, 10:37 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/suit_claims_longer_courthouse_wait_for_out-of-county_attorneys_is_unconstit/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Prosecutor Helped Bailiff Disarm Alleged Courthouse Shooter, While Defense Lawyer Helped Victims
Dec 20, 2011, 07:27 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/prosecutor_helped_bailiff_disarm_alleged_courthouse_shooter_while_defense_l/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Constitutional Law
'Extraordinary Legal Event' Unfolds as Man Exonerated of Wife's Murder Seeks to Hold DA Accountable
Dec 19, 2011, 03:57 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/extraordinary_legal_event_unfolds_as_man_exonerated_of_wifes_murder_seeks/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

The New Normal
Lawyer Comp: The Third Rail of Legal Value Conversations
Dec 21, 2011, 10:47 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/legalrebels/article/lawyer_comp_the_third_rail_of_legal_value_conversations/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Judiciary
Gingrich Elaborates on Plan to Subpoena Judges: Arrest Them If They Don't Show Up
Dec 19, 2011, 05:30 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/gingrich_elaborates_on_plan_to_subpoena_judges_arrest_them_if_they_dont_sho/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Practice Management
Lateral Hiring Challenges Destroyed Great Law Firms, Columnist Says
Dec 21, 2011, 05:30 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lateral_hiring_challenges_destroyed_great_law_firms_columnist_says/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Tax Law
Law Profs: Cap Income of One Percenters When Inequality Reaches 'Tipping Point'
Dec 19, 2011, 11:10 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/law_profs_cap_income_of_one_percenters_when_inequality_reaches_tipping_poin/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Criminal Procedure
As Judge Vacationed in China, Clerks Issued Warrants and Continuances
Dec 19, 2011, 06:00 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/as_judge_vacationed_in_china_clerks_issued_warrants_and_continuances/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: ACLU Backs Young Defense Lawyer Jailed by Judge for Asserting Client's 5th Amendment Rights
Dec 21, 2011, 01:35 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/aclu_backs_young_defense_lawyer_jailed_by_judge_for_asserting_clients_1/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Criminal Justice
Ex-BigLaw Partner Collapses in Court as Judge Warns of Likely Jail Time for Drunk-Driving Case Lies
Dec 19, 2011, 08:36 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ex-biglaw_partner_collapses_in_court_as_judge_warns_of_likely_jail_time_for/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Nearly a Third of Youths Are Arrested by Age 23; Is Zero Tolerance the Reason?
Dec 19, 2011, 06:22 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/nearly_a_third_of_youths_are_arrested_by_age_23_is_zero_tolerance_the_reaso/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Do You, Like Santa, Routinely Choose to Work While Most Others Are Sleeping?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/do_you_like_santa_routinely_choose_to_work_while_most_others_are_sleeping?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

This week, we noted a Washington Post column in which the columnist chronicles the phenomenon of "midnight moms" who find themselves pulling late-night work shifts from home while their children sleep. A Latham & Watkins IT worker and "midnight mom" interviewed for the column who teaches an infant swim class on the side found those moms "wanted to talk at midnight. They were all keeping the same hours as I was."

The Post columnist noted how midnight moms' holiday obligations stretches them particularly thin. And it inspired us to ask you -- whether you are a man or a woman, a parent or not: Do you, like Santa, routinely choose to work while most others are sleeping? Is sleep a small price to pay for getting to finish all of your work during a time when you won't be interrupted? Or, most of the time, do you feel that what didn't get done today can wait until the morning without particularly bad consequences?

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: How Many Hours Will You Bill in 2011?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/how_many_hours_have_you_billed_in_2011/

Featured answer:

Posted by Self-Employed: "I bill on average (as my goal) 20-25 hours per week = 1080 hours per year and I take at least four weeks off, only work weekends when I need to (as you can get more accomplished on the weekend) and bring in 100 percent of the receipts less expenses/overhead (which I keep very low). This allows me to make comfortably over $300,000 per year, stay happily married and actually be a dad to our daughter."

Do you have an idea for a future question of the week? If so, contact us.
http://www.abajournal.com/contact

In The Magazine