U.S. v. Wuterich

Mark,
These are Frank's answers, received late last night. No editing by Haytham or me.  You are welcome to use as much of it as you want.  I would prefer that you not chop it up, but rather use the entire answer for each question, so no one (like a prosecutor) will be able to exploit the sincerity of his answers to you by taking anything out of context.
I know you'll do the right thing.  You always have.
Neal
Neal A. Puckett, Esq
1800 Diagonal Rd, Suite 210

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential, and is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, copying of disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify Puckett & Faraj, P.C. at 703-706-9566 or via a return the e-mail to sender.  You are required to purge this E-mail immediately without reading or making any copy or distribution.

1. I have to beak this question in two, so my feelings with regards to trial are this: A part of me hasn't accepted it because I've been down this road before and feel like something else is going to come up at the last minute. I certainly don't want that; and I hope this is it. So in that respect, I am looking forward to finality on this case. I am also anxious, because I really don't want to go to court and drag everyone through this. I feel bad for my parents, this will be really stressful for them. I am looking forward to being able to present my case and help everyone understand what happened that day, and why I'm not guilty of the charges I'm facing. I really can't opine on the second half of the question because I don't follow politics and therefore don't have any feelings about my trial with relation to the troops exiting Iraq. I've heard this case was a 'talking point' during SOFA negotiations, but don't know enough about it to have an opinion.

2. A lot has happened in my life over the past 6 years. I've certainly aged and matured a bit. Some of the things that have happened are a divorce, coaching soccer for the kids on base, going to college and earning some certifications, moving several times, getting custody of my three girls, and doing a few different jobs in the Marine Corps including Battalion Safety Manager, instructor/trainer for the Marines deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan, and Billeting Manager for the camp I work on in Pendleton. I've built a life the best I could within the confines of this case. I've at least created the illusion for myself of making progress in my life, although I know I've really been stuck in one place waiting to move on.

3. Well, I will probably stay in California, if only for the reason that my kids are here and their mom is here and I wouldn't want to separate any of that. I sometimes think about moving back east, but understand that is probably not an option. I went to Saddleback college for computer maintenance and repair and finished the course requirements to earn a Computer Maintenance Technology certificate from Saddleback. I also tested for and passed the exams which make me A+ and Network+ certified through CompTIA. I plan on initially using my certifications to get a job working on computers or computer networking while completing a degree program.

4. I think public opinion about this case has gone through a few stages. Initially, back in 2006 when this story was all over the news, I think the public was mortified and disgusted because of what was being thrown around the airwaves... Massacre, cover-up, scandal, etc. As more information came out, their opinions started to change, although almost everyone confused the Hamdania case for the Haditha case and vice versa. Those that followed the Haditha case closely, I think started realizing there was a bit more complexity to the incident than Marines running around shooting everything they saw. And then, I think everyone (the general public) stopped caring when the media simmered down about it. Now, I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of people that even remember.

Questions for comment from Frank:

1.What are your thoughts on the eve of the trial, particularly since it coincides with the removal of the last U.S. combat troops from Iraq?

2. How would you describe how the years since the event and now have gone for you?

3. What are your hopes for  life after the Marine Corps?

4. How would you describe the public's understanding of what happened at Haditha?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Walker
North County Times
Oceanside, Ca.