Re: South Dakota Case

Patrick,
Sorry to read that.  Was this Wendy's attorney?  I can give you my thoughts in general principles and hypotheticals only, as legal advice regarding a matter covered by SD state law would be prohibited since I'm not licensed there.  The following, therefore, does not constitute legal advice, but some general principles and hypotheticals may be applicable to the circumstances.

You can be prosecuted by a state after being prosecuted by the federal government (the Air Force) and vice versa.  That's true whether you were convicted or acquitted.  A subsequent prosecution by the other jurisdiction is not double jeopardy, as that Constitutional principle applies only to the same "sovereign."  The federal government has federal sovereign authority, and each state has its own, separate sovereign authority.

Sometimes attorneys talk with prosecutors and deals are worked out (or not) based on those conversations.  Often District Attorneys will forego prosecution on condition that a suspected offender makes restitution to a victim.

Sometimes restitution can be made according to a written contract that offers a release of all future liability by the payee as well as confirmation that the payment does not admit any liability or fault on the part of the payor.  It can also include an agreement on the part of the payee not to press criminal charges agains the payor.  One other clause that can be included in such an agreement is one that requires that the payee never mention publicly or to anyone that the payment has been received or in what amount, including the identity of the payor.

Good, decent, law abiding citizens who may even have committed no crimes enter into these arrangements every day in order to preclude difficult, protracted and expensive criminal prosecution.

You should seek the advice of a competent defense attorney who is licensed to practice in SD.

If I represented someone in the Commonwealth of VA who was in a similar situation, I would not hesitate to advise them to pay that amount as quickly as possible, pursuant to a well drafted agreement to be signed by all parties.  I'd also ensure that I had my own independent assurance from the district attorney that such a payment and accompanying agreement would satisfy his concerns about whether he needed to re-file criminal charges.

Perhaps the most important words in this email are, "as quickly as possible."

Because you asked,

Neal A. Puckett, Esq
1800 Diagonal Rd, Suite 210

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential, and is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, copying of disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify Puckett & Faraj, P.C. at 703-706-9566 or via a return the e-mail to sender.  You are required to purge this E-mail immediately without reading or making any copy or distribution.