SSgt Lopez Update

Haytham,

I laid it all out there for her and she's still got some thinking to do.  She will have a hard time on a personal level pleading guilty at NJP to more than a couple of specs (Charge I, 1 & 3).  Her big hang up is that these things are still going on at OCS and individuals are getting NPLOCs or Pg 11 entries and nothing more.  She doesn't have any faith that Col Jackson will do her any favors at the NJP or afterwards and she's basically thinking that she has a better shot with a jury than with him.

I'm going to talk to Capt Hoover and 1stLt McGuire this evening about potential terms and whether or not they have actually talked to him about acceptable terms.  ...I just got off the phone with 1stLt McGuire who had returned my call and we discussed this a little, but she's saying that she knows what the TCOM SJA wants and what Col Jackson wants and that's testimony against GySgt Kelton: they want a proffer in advance so they know what they're getting out of this deal.  But, from talking to SSgt Lopez earlier, I know she really doesn't  want to help them unless she's ordered to do so.  This could be another sticking point, then.

My feeling is that we need to know from SSgt Lopez tomorrow if she wants to proceed or sign a deal.  I did not push her one way or the other, either.  But, I made it clear the different choices and the possibilities and potential consequences to each choice.  Right now, even though she's admittedly scared, she's thinking she'll go forward to the court-martial.

I plan to talk to her in the morning and let her know (after telling you first) what the prosecutors say at our meeting.

I'll have a list to you by COB or early in the morning regarding witnesses.  I told 1stLt McGuire to give us until tomorrow to file the remaining Pg 56 matters and that, unless some new issues come up, we don't need the 39a on Monday.

I'll be heading over to the office around 1730 to meet with them.

S/f,

Bret