Haytham, Billing Question from Ted Card

Haytham,

I writing to ask for your assistance/guidance, relating to a matter of your
Firm's billing practices.

1.  To date, I have received two (2) notices/reminders from Puckett & Faraj,
PC; the first is dated 9 June and the second is from the 28th of June.  Both
reminders cite Invoice #716 dated 6 May 2011, which is billing me for
$951.50.  As I understood from a conversation we (you & I) had sometime
during the Spring of this year, the $10,000 I had paid to the Firm would
cover applicable fees through the completion of the UCMJ Article 32
Investigation.  I searched through some old e-mail Files and found records
of an electronic conversation between Marcelyn Atwood (your Firm's business
manager) and myself, which took place on 21 January 2010; therein, we (she &
I) discussed the generation and mailing of a Cashier's Check for $10,000.
So, I'm confused by Invoice #716.  I did not act following receipt of the
first letter, but the second one has me concerned.

2.  Haytham, right now, I am still assigned TAD to I MEF Headquarters Group;
I am still TAD to this command, from I MEF G-3.  My last CO at the Group
(Colonel Lori Reynolds) was selected for Brigadier General in January of
this year.  Coincidentally, she was PCS'd to her next assignment (CG,
MCRDPI) and promoted very soon following the conclusion of the Article 32
Investigation and the publication of the I.O.'s Report.  Since May 2011, the
IMHG has been commanded by Colonel Stephen M. Hanson, USMC.  Colonel Hanson
has found my performance as the Group Adjutant (the billet I am filling at
IMHG) to be insufficient.  On Monday of this week I was summarily fired and
directed to take Leave until this coming Monday; at which time, I would
notified of my new assignment, outside IMHG.

3.  I had never asked nor wanted to be the logistician (S4) or Adjutant (S1)
for I MEF Headquarters Group (by T/O both billets are slated for Lieutenant
Colonels).  But, these were the assignments I have filled for the past two
years, since being detained and questioned by the NCIS in June of 2009.  I
have always clearly understood why the IMEF CoS re-assigned me from
OpsO/C.Ops/G3 over to the IMHG; I was working out of the M.O.C. with a TS
Clearance, and I couldn't operate in that capacity, while at the same time
be a murder suspect.  Although I had received excellent Fitness Reports from
Colonel(now, BGen) Reynolds over these past two years, I will now be
receiving an Adverse Report from this new Commander, on my way out the door.
Needless to say, I'm frustrated and pretty pissed-off.

4.  Regarding my other troubles:
    a.  The last official word I had received regarding NCIS' investigation
was that it was still 'open.'  As of this writing, I do not know if this
ridiculous investigation has been closed yet, or not.
    b.  I imagine the NCIS' 'open-Investigation' is still contributing to
the incompletion of DoNCAF's periodic re-investigation (an SSBI, begun in
August 2009), the results of which are required for the continuation of my
'SCI-eligibility.'
    c.  Although selected for the grade of Lieutenant Colonel in February
2009 and having had the charge of Article 118 with three (3) specifications
dismissed by CG, I MEF, I remain a Major.  I do not know if MMPR (Quantico,
M&RA) is taking action on petitioning the SECNAV to remove the delay of
promotion, which had been put in place during July 2010.
    d.  I have been on-station at Camp Pendleton for forty-nine (49) months.
Now, I haven't contacted the Monitor since September of 2009 - and, I don't
intend to anytime soon.  But, I imagine my name is going to pop on his
computer monitor, sooner or later, as being eligible to PCS.  I'm not
avoiding the Monitor because, I'm trying to remain in the same geographic
area; what I'm trying to do is get the promotion and clearance reinstated,
prior to getting a new set of Orders.

5.  Haytham, my friend, I didn't write to you today just so you could hear
me whine...  Primarily, I'm writing about the question posed in Par. 1.
Par. 2, 3, & 4 are really just to frame the pretty depressing situation I
find myself in.  My life hasn't exactly been flooded with jubilation since
we last saw each other in late-April.

Regards, Ted

MAJOR EDWARD THOMAS CARD, JR., USMC
I MHG, I MEF