RE: [TLC] Rule 403 prejudice v. probative analogies. Need help.

Good thoughts.  And, I agree, if it is coming in, I embrace it.  However it is worth the fight to keep it out.  The photos really make him look like a thug.  This stuff is much more damaging in this context (wrongful / negligent security) case than it would be in a criminal case.  For one, I’ve got the burden.  For another, this case already has several “problems”.  This kid lives in an apartment complex in a poor part of town.  He was also walking on a path (think “dark alley”) that most people (no woman would) walk on.  We’ve got an uphill battle as it is. Lots of lawyers would have passed on it even without the “gang” issue.  I tend to embrace things other folks see as problems.

From: Haytham Faraj [mailto:haytham@puckettfaraj.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:41 AM
To: 'Nelson Tyrone'; alumni@triallawyerscollege.com
Subject: RE: [TLC] Rule 403 prejudice v. probative analogies. Need help.

I don’t want to derail your theory but I do want to offer my stream of consciousness.  If my client were accused of being in a gang in a criminal case and I knew he wasn’t, I would limit the energy I waste on persuading the prosecutors from introducing pictures because it would be a losing proposition.  The judge is going to let it in and let the jury decide.  This is not a question of law but a question of fact. So why not embrace the pictures.  They are the truth and they are a reflection of the life of an aspiring rap artist that your client desired but will never now have.  You may even want to use them to get the jury to give you more money because your client will never be able to live the life he dreamed of having.  Does he not have a right to live the life he dreamed of?  The suggestion that because your client likes Rap music and flashes signs, he must be a gang banger is common for a bunch of ignorant, probably white, lawyers who have no awareness of popular culture.  The jury is aware of it.  They see it on TV and listen to it on their radios on their drives to and from work.  Their kids listen to rap and flash signs but have nothing to do with gangs.  It’s just pop culture.

Drawing analogies is a good way to counter the defense’ theory that your client is in a gang but why try to come up with all those analogies yourself?  The jury is going to go through that in the deliberation room because they all know people who listen to rap and flash signs but have nothing to do with gangs.  Why not let the jury help you with finding analogies during your voir dire and have them become your advocates against the defense.  Clearly you have plenty of evidence and experts to show that he’s a not a gang member.  Use the pictures yourself during voir dire and ask the jurors how they feel about them.  Tell them what the defense wants to do and ask whether you should even be up there and make the effort to present your client’s case.  Ask them to help you draw analogies.  I think you will be pleased with the responses you get.  The defense wants to divert their attention from the case with pictures because they have nothing else.  They want to destroy the man’s reputation after they neglected to protect him.  Use the pictures yourself and deflate their argument.