Where were you last night? Your iPhone knows.

Because Freedom Can't Protect Itself
Dear Haytham,

Tell Internet companies like Apple and Google that you expect them to protect your privacy!

The things we do and say online leave behind ever-growing trails of personal information.

This was dramatically demonstrated last week when security researchers revealed that Apple's iPhone tracks users' locations and saves them to a secret file on the device — and onto users' computers when the two are synced. Apple has promised to fix the problem, but things like this happen all too often.

With every click, we entrust our conversations, emails, photos, location information and much more to companies like Apple, Amazon, Facebook, and Google. But what happens when the government asks these companies to hand over their users' private information?

Tell the companies you use that it's time to protect your privacy!

It's become more urgent than ever: We must demand respect for our privacy from companies with access to our conversations, emails, photos, search histories, location information and more.

We have to let companies like Apple, Google and others know that, as stewards of our digital lives, they are our first line of defense when it comes to keeping private our most personal information.

They shouldn't be collecting our personal information without our permission — and we should be able to count on them to protect our privacy when the government comes looking for that information.

Demand that the companies you use:
  • Tell you when the government is asking for your information;
  • Disclose how often they share information with the government;
  • Stand up for user privacy in the courts and Congress.
Tell Internet companies like Apple and Google that you expect them to protect your privacy!

If we don't act to protect our personal privacy, no one will.

Sincerely,

Catherine Crump
Staff Attorney, Speech Privacy and Technology Project
ACLU

© ACLU, 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004

Unsubscribe from receiving email, or change your email preferences.