Re: Follow-up investigation

Haytham,  long time no see and I look forward to working with you.  I was stoked when I realized you could be involved.

The lying witness is actually the defendant driver.  Here's the real issue regarding liability: there's only one witness, the defendant, and he says Jeff crossed the centerline.  But, I've inspected the scene, and it makes more sense to me given curve of road, final resting place of vehicles, and the wheel tracks left in grass, that the dump truck was on or over the centerline.  Problem is we have to not just prove physical evidence is consistent with "our story," since we don't really have anyone to tell a story, but proves defendant is a liar.

I've contacted an engineer I've used in past for accident reconstruction. Police have apparently just finished their report and we hope to get today. I'm going to get expert our photos and police report, photos and diagrams as soon as we get them.  Info is Illinois State Police did not do a "reconstruction" but presumably have photos and diagrams with all measurements.

I've contacted insurance company and have our vehicle on a legal hold.  This will preserve it in current state until we release it.  I've sent letters to defendant and their insurer demanding they preserve their truck and trailer.  Again so we can inspect, measure and photograph in present state.

Illinois DOT should have also inspected the dump truck and trailer, GCVW should be well in excess of commercial vehicle minimums.  So, driver should have a CDL and DOT should have duty to inspect truck for maintenance, logs, etc.  Still don't have info from DOT yet.

Consequently, I agree with Nick with one proviso.  I doubt we're going to be able to contact the driver directly; he's already reported to his employer's insurance and they've made a claim against our client for the property damage.  Our client's insurance has not spoken to driver of dump truck.

Talk to you soon, maybe we can meet soon.  I'll be in Wisconsin tomorrow.

Rod