Re: Veterans Small Business Conference and Exposition

great M

On Apr 11, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Haytham wrote:

I reviewed it over the weekend.  I want to add some additional words then chat with Neal.

On Apr 11, 2011, at 11:53 AM, Atwood Marcy <marcy@puckettfaraj.com> wrote:

:-)
Do you have time to review the White Collar Google Adword Campaign sent to you over the weekend?  M

On Apr 11, 2011, at 11:59 AM, Haytham Faraj wrote:

Thank you for the insight Marcy.  These are important questions that should be answered before we commit to this conference.  I did not mean to presume that you would do proposals.  I thought that that might be one of the service your business offers.  Disregard the suggestion.  Neal and I will discuss your questions.

From: Atwood Marcy [mailto:marcy@puckettfaraj.com]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 11:37 AM
To: Haytham Faraj
Cc: 'Neal Puckett'
Subject: Re: Veterans Small Business Conference and Exposition

N/H, I know Haytham attended this last year.  The history on this was that it was sponsored by the Department of Veteran Affairs.  And apparently this year, Ms. Halfaker is doing the leg work and running this - she is a USMC Disabled Vet who has been running the circuit.  The guy who created this conference and use to run this as the Director of the Small Bus Office at VA, retired, and started his own consulting company helping Vets get bus with the Feds.  He is now either contracted to the VA or Halfaker to participate which is good money for him or someone in the Sm Bus Office at VA took over from him and he's just pushing it.  (I was at an event where he placed a flyer in my hand for this in March.) I think the first is probably right.

While I'm sure the Fed agencies will still attend, in times of reduce budgets - that attendance might slip.  The feeling I get from the Veteran Small Businesses (Lisa-we've talked about it) is that it may not be worth it like it was when I attended this 4 years ago as one of her Reps.  Although that may be because Lisa already is well established in Fed contracts in several agencies.

So, the question is what is the strategy for the Firm and how will it bring business?  If the conf is helping Vets get connected to Government Sm Bus Officers and Contracting Officers, what is it the Firm can do to assist? Especially, if the focus of the attendees is getting the contract with the Feds.  How can the Firm help them do that and if not, will the participants listen to you? So, if you are not intending to help the participating Vet orgs, then what is it you expect to gain out of this conference?  Are you looking for Fed government work?  The government work - as witnessed on the AF NETWORK Emails is about butts-in-seats - hiring GS attorneys to do the work, and in some cases, like the PWS Lisa just sent - it is contract legal office admin to do the "paper & case management" piece.

Oh, and you didn't ask if Crisp Atwood Group wants to do proposals.  I know the Admiral won't do it.  I've got to work with a partner now to make things happen.  And Neal will tell you how much I HATED writing proposals.  That aside, I can churn them out and they are compliant - it still must be based on the technical capabilities of the submitter and being competitive in pricing.

If the Firm can't define what it is they are offering and clearly define all the supporting aspects of that such as OCI, Insurance minimums on record, financial management of the invoicing - ie. DELTEK system is authorized by the government for invoicing and is certified as good to go for audits - Quickbooks is not, etc. and if you need a Facility Clearance, you'll have to find another sm bus teaming partner to manage that for you.

Just trying to define some of the issues.  FYI.  The Crisp Atwood Group will not be attending Vet Sm Bus Conf in New Orleans this year 15-18 August - as our schedules are full.  I'll be CA for a wedding as will the Admiral.