Firm Pulls 'Insulting' 9/11 Ad; Defense Wants Info on DA's Cash-for-Convictions Bonus; Yale Law School Apps Plummet - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

The Top Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Editor's Note: Peeps in Law dioramas are due April 5. See this year's submissions & how to enter : http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/peeps_in_law_gallery_is_live/

Legal Marketing
Law Firm Pulls 9/11 Ad Portraying 'I Was There' Firefighter Who Wasn't There
Mar 30, 2011, 08:11 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/law_firm_pulls_9-11_ad_portraying_i_was_there_firefighter_who_wasnt_there/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
"Sure you're seeing the whole picture? You will with Westlaw Litigator."

http://www.westlawlitigator.com

------------------------------

Prosecutors
Defense Lawyer Subpoenas Docs Detailing Prosecutor's Cash Bonuses for Convictions
Mar 29, 2011, 06:53 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/defense_lawyer_subpoenas_docs_detailing_prosecutors_bonuses_for_convictions/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Schools
Yale Law School Gets Hit by Double-Digit Drop in Applications
Mar 31, 2011, 11:20 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/yale_law_school_gets_hit_by_double-digit_drop_in_applications/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Law Schools Need to Partner Up to Help Deflate Rising Tuition, Dean Says
Mar 29, 2011, 09:04 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/law_schools_need_to_partner-up_to_help_deflate_rising_tuition_Dean_Says/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
Supreme Court Rules Against Exonerated Inmate Awarded $14M in Damages
Mar 29, 2011, 10:04 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/supreme_court_rules_against_exonerated_inmates_quest_for_damages_against_da/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Judiciary
Justice Scalia Gets Ticketed in Four-Car Fender Bender
Mar 30, 2011, 06:40 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/justice_scalia_gets_ticketed_in_four-car_fender_bender/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Gibson Dunn Partner Eugene Scalia Takes a Pay Cut to Avoid Recusal Issues for His Dad
Mar 30, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/gibson_dunn_partner_eugene_scalia_takes_a_pay_cut_to_avoid_recusal_issues/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Constitutional Law
Birthing Center for Chinese 'Maternity Tourists' Is Shut Down in California
Mar 29, 2011, 07:23 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/birthing_center_for_chinese_anchor_babies_is_shut_down_in_california/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Legal Ethics
Lawyer Apologizes to His Wife, a Prominent Judge, for Pressuring Ex-Client to Have Sex with Her
Mar 28, 2011, 02:45 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyer_apologizes_to_his_wife_a_prominent_judge_for_pressuring_former_clien/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Labor & Employment
New ADA Regs Could Lead to More Disability Class Actions
Mar 29, 2011, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/new_ada_regs_could_lead_to_more_disability_class_actions/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Reports: Supremes Skeptical About Allowing Massive Wal-Mart Class Action to Proceed
Mar 29, 2011, 02:56 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/supreme_court_justices_seem_skeptical_about_allowing_massive/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Firms
Howrey Branding Efforts Should Have Targeted Its Own Lawyers, Its Ex-Marketer Says
Mar 30, 2011, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/howrey_branding_efforts_should_have_targeted_its_own_lawyers_its_ex-markete/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Trials & Litigation
Judge Uses Shakespeare Insult in Rejecting Lawyer's Copyright Claim for Copied Sentence
Mar 31, 2011, 07:31 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/federal_judge_uses_shakespeare_insult_in_rejecting_lawyers_copyright_claim_/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: 'Girls Gone Wild' Founder Goes Lawyerless, Claims Credit for Witness Geometry Quiz
Mar 30, 2011, 10:32 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/girls_gone_wild_founder_goes_lawyerless_claims_credit_for_witness_geometry_/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Has Social Media Tightened Your Writing Style?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/has_social_media_tightened_your_writing_style?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

Last week at 3 Geeks and a Law Blog, Greg Lambert noted a New York Times op-ed from a college English professor who sees value in very short compositions.

"My ideal composition class would include assignments like 'Write coherent and original comments for five YouTube videos, quickly telling us why surprised kittens or unconventional wedding dances resonate with millions,' and 'Write Amazon reviews, including a bit of summary, insight and analysis, for three canonical works we read this semester (points off for gratuitous modern argot and emoticons),' " wrote Andy Selsberg, who teaches English at John Jay College.

Read the full question, then answer in the comments.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/has_social_media_tightened_your_writing_style/

Read the answers to last week's question: "How Formal or Informal Are You in Your Interactions with Your Clients?"
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/how_formal_or_informal_are_you_in_your_interactions_with_your_clients/

Featured answer:

Posted by JME: "No longer have an office, so usually meet clients at their home or over coffee at a casual location.  They seem to like it.  I usually wear jeans, cowboy boots, hat, but I do put on a polo or other fairly nice shirt when I go out.  I like to wear a long coat, so it hides my gun, and have yet to have a client complain about that, either.  I do wear a suit to court, of course.  Don't have corporate clients, just family and bankruptcy stuff.  I think my clients prefer an attorney who is like them."

In The Magazine