'Most Frivolous' Suit Cited in Disbarment; $10M Rainmaker Pay Creates Morale Issues; Why These Lawyers Love the Practice - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

The Top Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Legal Ethics
Lawyer Disbarred After Filing 'Most Frivolous' Suit Judge Had Ever Seen
Feb 8, 2011, 12:49 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_disbarred_after_filing_most_frivolous_suit_judge_had_ever_seen?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Va. Judge Ignores State Supreme Court Ruling After Deciding It's Just Plain Wrong
Feb 7, 2011, 08:23 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/va._judge_ignores_state_supreme_court_ruling_after_deciding_its_just_plain_?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Law Practice Management
Pay of $10M for Top Rainmaking Lawyers Creates Growing Morale Issues
Feb 8, 2011, 06:36 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/pay_of_10m_for_top_rainmaking_lawyers_creates_growing_moral_issues?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Milbank Will Send Associates to Harvard for Executive Training
Feb 10, 2011, 06:36 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/milbank_will_send_associates_to_harvard_for_executive_training?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Work/Life Balance
These Lawyers Still Love Law Practice. Find Out Why
Feb 7, 2011, 08:20 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/podcast_monthly_episode_11?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Why I Love Being a Lawyer (Seriously)
Feb 1, 2001, 05:00 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/why_i_love_being_a_lawyer/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

International Law
Robed Lawyers Join Protests and March in Egypt, Calling for a Trial of Mubarak
Feb 10, 2011, 11:57 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyers_join_protests_in_egypt_amid_reports_of_possible_mubarak_resignation?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

ABA
Public Hearing on Judiciary Funding Draws Tales of Courts Begging for Pens, Jury Trials Halted
Feb 9, 2011, 07:23 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/public_hearing_on_judiciary_funding_draws_tales_of_courts_begging_for_pens?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: ABA Launches New Website
Feb 7, 2011, 11:58 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/aba_launches_new_website?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Firms
Will Howrey Defections Become an 'Avalanche'? Answer Could Come in Days
Feb 7, 2011, 06:39 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/will_howrey_defections_become_an_avalanche_answer_could_come_in_days?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Schools
Villanova Says Inaccurate LSAT and GPA Data Were 'Knowingly Reported' to the ABA in Prior Years
Feb 4, 2011, 05:52 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/new_villanova_law_dean?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Law School Applications Dip at Mizzou Law; Down 12% Nationwide
Feb 8, 2011, 04:42 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_school_apps_dip_at_mizzou_law_nation_down_12?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Government Law
Coffee Shop Owner Guilty of Indecent Exposure Due to Skimpy See-Through Shorts on 'Bikini Barista'
Feb 7, 2011, 12:34 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/coffee_shop_owner_guilty_of_indecent_explosure_due_to_skimpy?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Juries
Angry Jurors Hope to Give Acquitted Teen Their Jury Pay
Feb 10, 2011, 08:49 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/angry_jurors_may_give_acquitted_teen_their_jury_pay?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law in Popular Culture
Harper Lee Prize for Legal Fiction Nominations Are Open
Feb 9, 2011, 02:04 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/harper_lee_prize_for_legal_fiction_nominations_are_open?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Eccentric Profs, Cheating Spouses Become Characters in Law Dean's New Novel
Feb 8, 2011, 05:30 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/eccentric_profs_cheating_spouses_become_characters_in_law_deans_new_novel?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Have You Ever Had a Client or Co-Worker Who Used Poor Judgment on Valentine's Day?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/have_your_clients_or_co-workers_ever_used_poor_judgment_on_valentines_day?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

Valentine's Day can inspire dread in the hearts of divorce lawyers, because the holiday can prompt emotionally fragile clients to act in ways that harm their cases.

"I heard about a sex tape sent over to the soon-to-be-ex-spouse around Valentine's Day some years ago, before the Internet and technology took on a life of its own," Vikki S. Ziegler, a partner at Walder Hayden & Brogan told the New York Times' City Room blog. "I think it was VHS. Whatever the format, it's something, No. 1, you never advise a client to do. ... It was the wife who sent the tape to the husband. The husband's attorney said, 'We're going to crush wife's attorney,' and sure enough, the case was settled quickly."

Dan Schwartz at Connecticut Employment Law Blog notes that Valentine's Day "seems to be a day that brings out the inner sexual harasser in far too many instances," and cites 12 employment law cases from the last 15 years or so that cover poor choices made on Feb. 14. "Note: Accepting Tiffany gold earrings on Valentine's Day will also not bolster a harassment suit against a company," Schwartz says regarding "Bogdan v. New York City Transit Authority."

So we'd like to ask you: Have you ever had a client or co-worker who used poor judgment on Valentine's Day? Tell us about your clients' romantic misfires and revenge schemes, or even about a time when a co-worker made an awkward Valentine's Day gesture, whether it rose to the level of harassment or not.

Answer in the comments.

Read the answer to last week's question: Have You Ever Had to Fight Weather to Keep Working?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/have_you_ever_had_to_fight_weather_to_keep_working/

Featured answer:

Posted by Austin TX: "Even in Texas we have winter trouble. We've got about a half-inch of snow at our house in Austin, Texas, but the roads are extremely icy. My husband just got to his office and regrets going in. Two of the lawyers in his office ended up abandoning their cars and had to walk home or to the office. I'm at home working remotely. That said, the forecast is for weather in the high 50s and 60s over the weekend. Our favorite story concerns a hearing where an attorney from Chicago came to Austin to attend with my husband. Due to similar icy conditions, the Travis County courthouse was closed and the hearing was canceled. The attorney from Chicago called home to let his family know what was going on, and his child asked: 'Are the courts outside in Austin?'  It was inconceivable to a Chicago kid that the courthouse would be canceled due to cold and ice."

In The Magazine