From: Eric Montalvo [mailto:eric@puckettfaraj.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:04 PM
To: Mark S. Zaid; Neal Puckett; Haytham Faraj
Subject: Re: Possible Joint Case

Easy day just let me know where/when you need me to plug in.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: "Mark S. Zaid" <mark@markzaid.com>

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 21:48:20 -0500

To: 'Puckett Neal'<neal@puckettfaraj.com>; 'Eric S. Montalvo'<eric@puckettfaraj.com>; 'Haytham Faraj'<haytham@puckettfaraj.com>

Subject: Possible Joint Case

Guys –

I spoke to a Lt Col in the Army today about a situation he is in. The description was sent to me as follows:

I asked Amy for your email because I’m looking for a unique type of lawyer, on behalf of a friend, and was hoping you may have a lead on someone he could speak with. Here is a summary of his issue: He is a 20+ year Army officer who was up for a promotion to Colonel about a year or so ago. He had a superior record, all the recs from three and four stars, etc and was seen as a no brainer for promoting. But they did not promote him and the reason is, according to him and the colleagues he’s been able to confidentially speak with about it, because he gave a bad evaluation to one of his subordinates who happened to be Muslim and that soldier said it was him discriminating, reported him, etc. An investigation insued at the time and my friend was found not to have discriminated – he was cleared of the charges.  But, apparently just having been accused has made him be passed over (twice now, I think) for Colonel.  He has the support of all his superiors, they’ve recommended him for Colonel and it is unclear who at the Pentagon is holding it up since it’s no one who knows or has worked with him.  He’s a very good guy and has tried everything to resolve this but now realizes his career is completely at a hault unless he does something more aggressive to defend his honor. So he wants to hire a private attorney to pursue options, including action against the Army.

This case is related to the Hassan situation and the Secretary of the Army is personally involved. This will require some finesse with Congress and DoD, but I would prefer to have someone with military experience involved to help navigate the actual promotion process.

Interested?

Mark

This electronic mail (e-mail) transmission is meant solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed.  It contains confidential information that may also be legally privileged.  Any copying, dissemination or distribution of the contents of this e-mail by anyone other than the addressee or his or her agent for such purposes is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by telephone, facsimile or e-mail and purge the original and all copies thereof.  Thank you.

Mark S. Zaid, Esq.
Mark S. Zaid, P.C.
1250 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.
Suite 200