RE: (Cynowa v. CSSS) Larry Carver Motion

Lisa,

Other than perhaps the fact that he switched sides in this case, which they clearly know about, Darnella already previewed the lines of inquiry that are the subject of the motion.

However, an alternative path is to hold off on the motion and attempt to get Carver to show up for the completion of his deposition.  I am comfortable with this approach if this is the consensus.  If he shows, we can decide after that whether to move forward with a motion to compel him to answer the questions he refused to answer.  One potential downside with that approach is that the Court may be reluctant to grant such a motion if it means he would need to appear for a third time to be deposed.  On the other hand, he might agree to show up and may answer our questions without the need for the motion.  If we pursue this path and he refuses to appear for the completion of his deposition, then we can proceed with the motion to compel.  One issue that may come up is that Theresa Johnson has made some noise in the past about there only being five minutes left in the deposition.  This comes from the misplaced notion that the deposition was a discovery deposition, which is limited to three hours under Illinois rules; in fact, this was an evidence deposition, which is not limited by the three hour rule.  If Carver appears but fails to remain for the completion of his evidence deposition on the notion that there is a three hour limit, we can make a record that we will move to compel and will ask for fees and costs.

There is another consideration as well, which is that there is a possibility that Larry Carver may show up in person at trial, despite having sat for an evidence deposition.  This is difficult to predict.  My bet is that the plaintiff will want him there in person.  I also suspect that his ego and animus toward you will drive him to want to be there in person.

Also, to answer you last question, we would plan to proceed with the deposition at Haytham’s office in Virginia.

Kevin