From: Day Capt Evan S
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 17:21
To: Hur Capt Christian P
Cc: 'haytham@puckettfaraj.com'; Hatch MAJ Douglas C
Subject: RE: Outstanding Wacker Discovery issues

Capt Hur,

I should probably clarify a couple of these things:

- With regard to the speedy trial clock, what I meant in my response is that you have everything you need to do the excludable delay calculation yourself (i.e., excludable delay requests and scheduling orders from the court).

- Regarding the DNA expert, I need a new request from you which is compliant with RCM 703 (the first one was not, due mainly to the lack of a fee schedule and estimated cost of employment).  I sent you an email previously with one suggestion and a list of other labs in California. The one private lab expert I contacted (Dr. Norah Rudin, in Mountain View, who was requested by Capt Dunn on the US v Collins case here last year) indicated that she was available for the trial dates as of the time I emailed her. As a caveat, Dr. Rudin is a suggestion only- the approval needs to come from the CA. If you send me a new request, I will forward to the CA immediately.  Dr. Rudin indicated that the standard practice in most cases she dealt with was to get an initial approval for 10 hours of consultation, then submit follow-up requests for additional funding for further consultation, testing, and testimony, if necessary.
- On the same note, I note that both USACIL reports indicated that samples remain available for testing, but it's your decision whether to request any additional testing.

R/S,
Capt Day