Lawyer Advised to 'Moderate His Fury'; Stressed Lawyers are Cautious & Distant; Why Midsize Firms Are Prospering - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Editor's Note: We've chosen Our 100 Favorite Blawgs this year,
[http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/the_2010_aba_journal_blawg_100/]
now it's your turn to Vote for Your Favorite!
[http://www.abajournal.com/blawg100]

Appellate Practice
7th Circuit Says Plaintiffs Lawyer 'May Wish to Moderate His Fury'
Dec 6, 2010, 08:15 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/7th_circuit_says_plaintiffs_lawyer_may_wish_to_moderate_his_fury?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Careers
Lawyers Under Stress Are Critical, Cautious and Distant, Personality Test Shows
Dec 7, 2010, 06:00 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/personality_test_shows_lawyers_shy_away_from_sources_of_stress?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Paralegal Job Can Make Career Sense, But Document Review Is Dubious, Experts Advise
Dec 7, 2010, 07:16 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/it_can_make_career_sense_to_take_a_paralegal_job_but_avoid_document_review_?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Firms
Fired Associate Sues Akin Gump, Alleging Bias and NALP Lie
Dec 6, 2010, 06:00 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/fired_associate_sues_akin_gump_alleging_bias_and_nalp_lie?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Suit Claims Reed Smith Managers Doled Out Work Based on Sexual Liaisons
Dec 7, 2010, 07:22 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/suit_claims_reed_smith_managers_doled_out_work_based_on_sexual_liaisons?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

The New Normal
The Lessons of WikiLeaks for Lawyers (It's Not What You Think)
Dec 7, 2010, 08:46 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/new_normal_lessons_wikileaks_lawyers?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: 'Knee-Jerk Reaction' to Prof's New Co. Underscores Fear of Change in Legal Marketplace
Dec 6, 2010, 01:05 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/new_normal_the_only_thing_we_have_to_fear_is_everything_apparently?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Practice Management
Why Many Midsize Law Firms Are Prospering During the Recession (Podcast)
Dec 6, 2010, 08:45 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/podcast_monthly_episode_9?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Business of Law
Congress Votes to Exempt Lawyers from 'Red Flags Rule'
Dec 7, 2010, 03:53 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/congress_votes_to_exempt_lawyers_from_red_flags_rule?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Evidence
Parrot's Chilling Comments Aid Police in Elder Abuse Case
Dec 8, 2010, 01:12 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/parrots_comments_aid_police_in_elder_abuse_case?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Judge Allows Jurors to See Video of Boy Accidentally Killing Himself at Gun Show
Dec 8, 2010, 06:30 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/judge_allows_jurors_to_see_video_of_boy_accidentally_killing_himself_at_gun?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Celebrities
Unhappy Holidays for Wesley Snipes: Judge Denies Request for Delayed Jail Term
Dec 7, 2010, 06:31 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/unhappy_holidays_for_wesley_snipes_judge_denies_request_for_delayed_jail_te?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
Justice Thomas' Wife Says Call to Anita Hill Was 'Probably a Mistake'
Dec 6, 2010, 08:54 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/justice_thomas_wife_says_call_to_anita_hill_was_probably_a_mistake?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

First Amendment
WTF? '10 Most Obscene Cities' List Doesn't Include Most Likely Suspects
Dec 8, 2010, 01:26 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/wtf_10_most_obscene_cities_list_doesnt_include_most_likely_subjects?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What's the Most Interesting Card or Gift You've Received from a Colleague or Client?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/whats_the_most_interesting_card_or_gift_youve_received_from_a_colleague?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

This week, we noted a funny animated holiday e-card created by Manatt, Phelps & Phillips that depicts partners debating their firm holiday card's language. The cartoon lawyers settle on "Warm Wishes" and a long disclaimer.

Very often, those with whom we do business play it pretty safe when giving holiday gifts and cards. But sometimes a gift or message, for better or worse, will be unique and memorable.

This made us wonder ...

What's the most interesting holiday card or gift you've received from a colleague or client? The gift or card you mention can be either a hit or a miss -- but should definitely be something unexpected.

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: Which Law Blogger Would You Most Like to Meet -- And Why?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/which_law_blogger_would_you_most_like_to_meetand_why/

Featured answer:

Tom Ellwanger: "I would like to meet Gerry Beyer of the Wills, Trusts, & Estates Prof Blog to find out how he manages to squeeze 36 hours of work into a 24-hour day. Not only does he churn out new blog material faster than I can read it, he also spits out a law review article every day or two and, presumably, teaches a few classes also."

In The Magazine