Should 1L Drop Out Now?; More Layoffs Coming; Blawg 100 Voting Under Way; Senate Votes to Exempt Lawyers from 'Red Flags' Rule - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Editor's Note: We've chosen Our 100 Favorite Blawgs this year,
[http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/the_2010_aba_journal_blawg_100/]
now it's your turn to Vote for Your Favorite!
[http://www.abajournal.com/blawg100]

Careers
As 1L Ponders Cost-Benefit Ratio of Dropping Out Now, ATL Survey Says: Do It
Nov 30, 2010, 11:25 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/As_1L_Ponders_Cost-Benefit_Ratio?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Judges Make List of Top 10 High-Paying Jobs With No Future
Nov 29, 2010, 07:26 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/judges_make_list_of_top_10_high-paying_jobs_with_no_future?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Layoffs
BigLaw Partner Cuts Aren't Over, Survey Finds
Nov 30, 2010, 07:45 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/nearly_70_percent_of_biglaw_firms_plan_to_cut_partners_in_2011?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Lower Billable Averages Suggest More Staff Layoffs Ahead
Nov 29, 2010, 05:10 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lower_billable_averages_suggest_more_staff_layoffs_ahead?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Business of Law
Law Prof Links Lawyer Regs and 'Gaping Hole' in Legal Services for Middle Class
Dec 1, 2010, 05:30 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_prof_links_lawyer_regs_and_gaping_hole_in_legal_services_for_middle_cla?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Legislation & Lobbying
US Senate Votes to Exempt Lawyers from 'Red Flags Rule'
Nov 30, 2010, 07:39 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/u.s._senate_votes_to_exempt_lawyers_from_red_flags_rule?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

The New Normal
Thomson Acquisition of Outsourcer Signals that Law Is Entering the 'Age of Entrepreneurship'
Dec 1, 2010, 08:36 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/new_normal_law_and_entrepreneurship_thomson_pangea_westlaw?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Legal Ethics
Circuit Court Judge Waits 11 Years to Rule on Case
Nov 30, 2010, 05:13 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/circuit_court_judge_waits_11_years_to_rule_on_case?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Constitutional Law
Glenn Beck's Book Discovery Becomes Tea Party Constitutional Inspiration
Nov 30, 2010, 06:00 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/glenn_becks_book_discovery_becomes_tea_party_constitutional_inspiration?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Sentencing / Post Conviction
Jail is 'Like Freedom,' Ex-Lawyer Says, Now That She's Facing Her Addiction and Depression Issues
Nov 29, 2010, 02:24 pm CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/jail_is_like_freedom_now_that_shes_faced_addiction_depression_issues_ex-law?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Privacy Law
Airport Body Scanners May Violate Alito's 'Minimally Intrusive' Test
Nov 29, 2010, 05:30 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/airport_body_scanners_may_violate_alitos_minimally_intrusive_test?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Students
October LSAT Test-Taker Numbers Are 2nd Highest Ever
Dec 2, 2010, 05:30 am CST
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/october_lsat_numbers_are_2nd_highest_ever?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Which Law Blogger Would You Most Like to Meet--And Why?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/which_law_blogger_would_you_most_like_to_meetand_why?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

We at ABAJournal.com marked Cyber Monday by announcing our fourth annual Blawg 100,  the year's 100 best legal blogs as chosen by the editors of the ABA Journal. And for most of December, readers will be able to vote for their own favorites among the 100 we've chosen.

Some blogs are appealing because their timely content helps us in our professional missions. But other blogs' real appeal comes from the intriguing persona of the blogger, and his or her combination of personality, writing style and command of subject matter. And while now anyone can follow most bloggers on Twitter if they want, and see their more spontaneous thoughts in addition to their crafted posts, meeting in person is rare.

This made us wonder ...

If given the chance, which law blogger would you most like to meet--and why? Would you want to talk shop about tax law with Kelly Phillips Erb of TaxGirl  or University of Cincinnati law professor Paul Caron of TaxProf Blog? Sip Rioja with Mike Semple Piggot of Charon QC? Or go shopping with Kat Griffin of Corporette?

Please don't feel like you have to limit yourself to blawggers in this year's Blawg 100. And if there are other regular commenters to ABAJournal.com posts you'd like to meet, go ahead and share your reasons.

Answer in the comments.

In The Magazine