Boies a 'Clutch' Performer; Partner Fired for 'Abject Laziness'; Jones Day Cuts Bonuses; Does Reducing Hours Nix Partner Chances? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Law in Popular Culture
David Boies Is Author's Lead Example of a 'Clutch' Performer
Nov 2, 2010, 10:43 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/david_boies_is_authors_lead_example_of_a_clutch_performer?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: New Scruggs Book Worth a Read, But Not Because Trial Lawyer Is Interesting, Review Says
Nov 3, 2010, 06:16 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/new_scruggs_book_is_worth_a_read_but_not_because_of_the_trial_lawyer_review?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Law Practice Management
Partner Fired for 'Abject Laziness' Had No Meaningful Caseload for Nearly 10 Years, Filing Contends
Nov 3, 2010, 02:17 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/partner_fired_for_abject_laziness_had_no_meaningful_caseload_for_nearly_10_?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Business of Law
Jones Day Thanks Staff for Their Hard Work, Eliminates Year-End Bonus Program
Nov 2, 2010, 05:15 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/jones_day_thanks_staff_for_their_work_eliminates_year-end_bonus_program?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Law Prof & Lawyer Metrics Look to Stats to See What Qualities Successful Attorneys Share
Nov 2, 2010, 02:57 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_prof_lawyer_metrics_look_at_stats_to_see_what_qualities_successful_atto?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Bankruptcy Law
Lawyer Accused of Hiding Money Had Nearly $1M in Cash in His Law Office Closet
Nov 2, 2010, 08:03 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_accused_of_hiding_money_had_nearly_1m_in_cash_in_his_law_office_clos?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Work-Life Balance
Do Reduced-Hour Workloads Derail Partnership-Track Careers? (Podcast)
Nov 1, 2010, 09:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/podcast_monthly_episode_8?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

U.S. Supreme Court
Cleveland Solo Takes His Civ Pro Case Before the Justices
Nov 1, 2010, 05:36 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/cleveland_solo_takes_his_civ_pro_case_ortiz_jordan?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Tort Law
Debt Collector Faked Court Hearings to Trick Consumers into Paying Up, Says AG's Suit
Nov 1, 2010, 01:59 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/debt_collector_faked_court_hearings_to_trick_consumers_into_paying_up_says_?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Law Firms
After Initial Denial, Kilpatrick Stockton and Townsend Announce Merger
Nov 3, 2010, 09:53 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/after_initial_denial_two_mid-sized_law_firms_announce_merger?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Are Midsize Firms Losing Their Cost Advantage? If So, Difficult Choices Await
Nov 2, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/are_midsize_firms_losing_their_cost_advantage_if_so_difficult_choices?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Partners
Why a Better Economy Is Bad News for Some BigLaw Partners
Nov 3, 2010, 08:01 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/why_a_better_economy_is_bad_news_for_some_biglaw_partners?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

The New Normal
Should Lawyers Tweet?
Nov 2, 2010, 02:56 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/should_lawyers_tweet?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

Plus: Does Every Hour Provide the Same Value?
Nov 3, 2010, 12:00 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/does_every_hour_provide_the_same_value?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_email

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Were You a Jock Star or a Cool Kid? Has It Helped You Get Ahead?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/were_you_a_jock_star_or_a_cool_kid_has_it_helped_you_get_ahead?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

Last week, we noted a column by Andrews Kurth partner Kathleen Wu discussing how, at large law firms, anyway, high school cliques seem to persist.

"Jocks, cheerleaders, nerds, bullies and drama geeks--firms have them all. They just wear nicer clothes now," she says. "They're the ones who do Starbucks runs together, hang out after work and take cool group vacations. They somehow find the time to lunch together every day, regardless of how much work they have."

And while Wu says popularity means nothing if your work can't stand on its own, she pointed out in her Texas Lawyer column that a little swagger, whatever its source, can go a long way.

Read the full question, then answer in the comments.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/were_you_a_jock_star_or_a_cool_kid_has_it_helped_you_get_ahead/

Read the answers to last week's question: What's the Most Bizarre Excuse You've Used/Heard to Call in Sick?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/whats_the_most_bizarre_excuse_youve_used_heard_to_call_in_sick/

Featured answer:

Posted by J.L.: "I was on a two-week vacation to Belize, and a barracuda attacked me while snorkeling two days before my flight home. I had to call in and tell the office I would be out for another week off because I couldn't walk or drive. Thinking it might sound a little fishy, I sent a picture of the wound and island stitches as proof."

In The Magazine