From: Carrie Sharlow [mailto:CSHARLOW@mail.michbar.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 11:32 AM
To: John Boufford <john@bouffordlaw.com>; Richmond Riggs <rriggs@co.genesee.mi.us>; Abed Hammoud <ahammoud@co.wayne.mi.us>; Angela Povilaitis <apovila@co.wayne.mi.us>; Julie Powell <jpowell1@co.wayne.mi.us>; Donna McKneelen <mckneeld@cooley.edu>; Samuel Smith <smiths@courts.mi.gov>; Donald E. McGinnis, Jr. <dmcginnis@dmcginnis.com>; Daniel Corrigan Grano <dgrano@floodlawcenter.com>; Derks, Nichole; Jenna Bonmarito <lawofficeassistant1@gmail.com>; John Freeman <formerfedlawyer@hotmail.com>; Kimberley Reed Thompson <kdrr@hotmail.com>; Hon. David Hoort <dhoort@ioniacounty.org>; Erika Julien <esjulien@lindermanjulien.com>; Gretchen Schlaff <gretchen.schlaff@macombcountymi.gov>; James Heath <HeathJ@michigan.gov>; Michael Gordner <gordner@millercanfield.com>; John Livesay <livesayj@porthuron.org>; Barry Poulson <barry@poulson.com>; Haytham Faraj <haytham@puckettfaraj.com>; J. McKay <jmckay@shiawassee.net>; Adam Mittman <miattorney@tds.net>; Timothy Havis <hlopllc@yahoo.com>; John Jarema <johnajarema@yahoo.com>; Paul Bukowski <paulbukowski@yahoo.com>
Cc: Elizabeth Lyon <ELYON@mail.michbar.org>
Subject: 2010-2011 Schedule for Criminal Jurisprudence & Practice Committee

Committee Members:

Thank you again for your willingness to serve on the Criminal Jurisprudence & Practice Committee.

Gretchen and Judge Hoort are excited about being the co-chairs for the upcoming year, and hopefully will be able to continue the tradition of excellence established in prior years and expected by the State Bar.

Gretchen will run the meetings and, with her attention to detail, it is our hope to get you out on time.  We have modified the meeting times and dates to maximize attendance, either in person or by telephone.

1.    Our meetings are from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the SBM building in Lansing on the following dates:

a.    November 4, 2010

b.    February 17, 2011

c.    March 17, 2011

d.    April 28, 2011

e.    May 19, 2011

f.     June 16, 2011

No meeting in December and January because of the weather, holidays and (because of the November election) there probably will not be any significant legislative action in the months of December and January.  If we are wrong, then we may meet by telephone or email.  Judge Hoort, as our social director, wants very much to schedule an âunofficialâ holiday event/dinner in December or January.  He is willing to do so at his home in Portland (MI) but its not that convenient for any distance travelers.  i.e. he is looking for other suggestions.

2.    Project proposals.  This group has a unique opportunity to accomplish and influence almost all sectors of the criminal justice system.  At our SBM Chair Orientation, our new President indicated that one of his priorities will include a focus on diversity.  Please be thinking about what projects we can undertake as the Criminal Jurisprudence and Practice Committee.

3.    Attendance:  At our Orientation meeting, we were specifically reminded that there is a strict policy regarding attendance.  i.e. âAny member of a Standing or Special Committee or Assembly Committee who shall be absent without having been excused by the Chairperson at three consecutive meetings of such Committee or Subcommittee to which he/she may have been assigned, or combination of both, shall be deemed to have resigned and the vacancy thereby created shall be filled in the same manner as it was made, for the unexpired term.â  Further, that there were many people who wanted to be on our committee but there were not sufficient openings.

a.    We are required to have at least 12 people in person or by telephone to be able to conduct committee business.  Realizing what is required of you in your job, professional and personal life, if our meeting dates are not going to work for you, please consider allowing someone else to maybe take your place on the CJ&P committee.

Finally, remember if you have any questions, please feel free to call, email or otherwise contact Gretchen, Judge Hoort, Elizabeth, Carrie or one of our long term members such as Abed, Kevin or Sam.

Carrie Sharlow
Administrative Assistant
Governmental Relations
State Bar of Michigan
Michael Franck Building
306 Townsend St., Lansing, MI  48933
Phone: 517/346-6317   Fax: 517/482-6248

Consider the environment before printing.

E-mail / Fax Notice: The transmitted material is intended only for the use of the addressee. It may contain confidential, proprietary and / or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any review, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, in whole or in part, is prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail reply or by phone (800-968-1442), delete the communication and destroy any copies.

E-mail Warning: This e-mail was swept for computer viruses. However, we cannot guarantee that the integrity of this e-mail has been maintained in transmission and do not accept responsibility for the consequences of any virus contamination.