News on debtors' prisons, human rights in Traverse City and more

Title: ACLU

View this email online.

ACLU of MI Newsletter

October 6, 2010

1. Should Unfair Court Fees be a Path to Prison?

2. Victory for Human Rights in Traverse City

3. The ACLU. The Onion. The Next Generation for Social Justice.

Upcoming Events:

10/18/10 - School-to-Prison Pipeline Forum, Lansing

10/21/10 - LGBT Rights and Michigan's Supreme Court Forum, Royal Oak

10/27/10 - From Hate Crimes to Marriage Equality Forum, Lansing

Are you a card-carrying member of the ACLU? Join today at www.aclumich.org

Should Unfair Court Fees be a Path to Prison?

PrisonThe answer should be no. This wasn't the case, however, for Kawana Young, a 25-year-old single mother, who accumulated a few minor traffic infractions. When she was given fines that she could not afford, she attempted to pay off her debt by doing community service.

It wasn’t until after she had completed her service at an elderly living center that she was told her time wouldn’t count because the center was not a non-profit. Young has since been thrown into jail five times for failing to pay her debt.

Sadly, Young isn’t alone in her experience. In the new ACLU report, “In for a Penny: The Rise of America’s New Debtors’ Prison,” (pdf) we examine the true price of imprisoning people unable to pay fines and court fees. At alarming levels across the country, states and counties, see a ready source of funds in vulnerable residents. Not only is this unfair, it's unconstitutional.

Read more about this important report and download a copy >>

Victory for Human Rights in Traverse City

The ACLU congratulates Traverse City on becoming the first Northern Michigan city to pass a human rights ordinance that includes protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

Monday’s City Commission vote makes Traverse City the 18th lower Michigan city or township to adopt a human rights ordinance that protects the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Traverse City’s ordinance sends a strong message that it values diversity and is a welcoming city for all.

But the fight for equality, isn't over. The ordinance may still be in jeopardy due to an effort that is underway to repeal it by ballot initiative. By continuing to generate support among Traverse City residents for the ordinance, you can help ensure all residents enjoy equal protection under the law. We’ll keep you posted on any further developments.

Read more on our website >>

The ACLU. The Onion. The Next Generation for Social Justice.

Join the ACLU for entertainment and inspiration from some of Michigan's most exciting leaders. Comedian and political blogger Baratunde Thurston (in photo) is this year’s featured guest.

ACLU of Michigan Annual Dinner
featuring: Baratunde Thurston

Saturday, December 4 at 6:30 p.m.
at the Henry Ford Museum

20900 Oakwood Blvd. in Dearborn, MI

Baratunde Thurston is the Web & Politics Editor at The Onion and hosts "Popular Science's Future Of" on the Science Channel. He was nominated for the Bill Hicks Award for Thought Provoking Comedy, declared a Champion of the First Amendment by Iowa State University, and called "someone I need to know" by President Barack Obama.

Be a host of this year's dinner! Receive premium seating and invitations for up to 10 guests to the VIP reception, or sponsor up to 10 students to attend this year's event. Call Lisa Brancato at (313) 578-6827 or email dinner@aclumich.org for details. Deadline for host and sponsor names to appear in mailed invitation is October 11.

We're all American

Join ACLU of MIConserving America's original civic values — those found in the Constitution and Bill of Rights — is our job. By protecting these original values, we defend the rights of everyone in this country. We have hundreds of thousands of members and supporters nationwide, from all walks of life, who help us carry out our mission every day. If you are not already a member, please join the ACLU.

This email was sent by the ACLU of MI to haytham@puckettfaraj.com. Forward this message to a friend.
We value your privacy. Read our Privacy Statement online. If you no longer wish to receive these updates or would like to modify your subscription preferences, visit the Subscriber Center.

© American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan
2966 Woodward Avenue · Detroit, MI 48201

www.aclumich.org · aclu@aclumich.org · p: 313.578.6800