Sidley, K&L Gates Grab Spotlight in US News List; Forbes to Rank Schools Based on Job Results; Nausea a Sign It's Time to Quit - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Editor's Note: We're looking for Blawg 100 candidates. Submit blawg amici, friend-of-the-blawg briefs, for blogs other than your own here.
http://www.abajournal.com/blawgs/blawg100_submit/

Law Firms
Sidley, K&L Gates Tout Most Top-Tier Spots in New US News Law Firm Rankings
Sep 15, 2010, 06:49 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/sidley_kl_gates_tout_most_top-tier_spots_in_new_us_news_law_firm_rankings

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Law Schools
Forbes Will Rank Law Schools Based on Job Results, Northwestern Reveals
Sep 15, 2010, 08:41 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/will_forbes_law_school_rankings_overtake_transparency_groups_mission

Careers
Work Nightmares and Nausea on the Job Are Signs It's Time to Leave
Sep 16, 2010, 10:10 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/work_nightmares_and_nausea_on_the_job_are_signs_its_time_to_leave

Plus:
Law Students, Display Your Emotional Intelligence
Sep 13, 2010, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_students_display_your_emotional_intelligence

How to Negotiate for Better Compensation After a Low-Pay Job Offer
Sep 14, 2010, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/how_to_negotiate_for_better_compensation_after_a_low-pay_job_offer

Work-Life Balance
Repeat Performance: Four Law Firms Make Working Mother's Top 100 List
Sep 14, 2010, 09:32 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/repeat_performance_four_law_firms_make_working_mothers_top_100_list

Legal Rebels
High-Energy Solo Is Making Mark With High-Profile Energy Practice
Sep 13, 2010, 9:24 am CDT
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/high_energy_solo_is_making_mark_with_high_profile_energy_practice

Plus:
This Solo Is Making Little Loans a Big Deal
Sep 15, 2010, 08:37 am CDT
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/making_little_loans_a_big_deal

This Master of Multitasking Juggled Her Solo Practice While Heading Major Bar Groups
Sep 17, 2010, 08:00 am CDT
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/master_of_multitasking

Alexis Martin Neely: What Are You Going To Do When They Don't Need Us Anymore?
Sep 14, 2010, 08:55 am CDT
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/alexis_martin_neely

Legal Ethics
Sex with Client's Spouse Is a Per Se Legal Ethics Violation, Top SC Court Says
Sep 14, 2010, 11:43 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/sex_with_clients_spouse_is_a_per_se_legal_ethics_violation_top_s.c._court_s

Lawyer Pay
Is $75K the Lawyer Happiness Number? Shoes and 'Life Assessment' Part of Trade-off
Sep 13, 2010, 09:51 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/is_75k_the_lawyer_happiness_number_shoes_and_life_assessment_part_of_trade-

Judiciary
7th Circuit Blasts Sentencing Judge for Comments on Hitler's Dog, Illegal Aliens
Sep 14, 2010, 06:48 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/7th_circuit_blasts_sentencing_judge_for_comments_on_hitlers_dog_illegal_ali

Criminal Justice
Pillsbury Winthrop Tax Attorney May Have Been Victim of Domestic Murder-Suicide, Authorities Say
Sep 14, 2010, 01:08 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/pillsbury_winthrop_tax_attorney_may_have_been_killed_in_domestic_incident

Bar Exam
ABA Group Backs Uniform Bar Exam
Sep 15, 2010, 04:38 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/aba_group_backs_uniform_bar_exam

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What's the Most 'Out of Bounds' Thing You've Heard a Judge Say During Proceedings?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/whats_the_most_out_of_bounds_thing_youve_heard_a_judge_say

The Chicago-based 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled this week that a federal judge in Milwaukee made such "out of bounds" comments during the sentencing of a convicted cocaine dealer that resentencing was necessary.

After the defendant, Jose Figueroa, claimed he was a good family man. U.S. District Judge Rudolph Randa said: "Even Adolf Hitler was admired by his family. Adolf Hitler loved his dog. Yet he killed 6 million Jews." He also commented on Figueroa's immigration status and talked about Figueroa's native Mexico, linking the country to drug and immigration problems in the United States.

So this week, we'd like to ask you: What's the most "out of bounds" thing you've heard a judge say during proceedings, whether he or she was ultimately rebuked for the remarks or not?

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: Can You Work with Someone with Whom You Have 'Profound Disagreements'?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/can_you_work_with_someone_with_whom_you_have_profound_disagreements/";

Featured answer:

Posted by Ohio73: "Yes, I can. So long as that person doesn't whistle excessively. Or slurp their coffee. Or tell everyone in the office how great they are all the time. Yeah, basically, so long as the person isn't a total pain in the rear, I am OK with disagreement sometimes."

In The Magazine