More Equity Partners Face Ax; Interviewing? Ask This Question; Legal Rebels '10; Should Lawyers Go Solo Right Out of Law School? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Law Firms
Report Predicts More Equity Partners Will Be Axed, Sees More Outsourced Work
Sep 8, 2010, 08:21 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/report_predicts_more_equity_partners_will_be_axed_sees_more_outsourced_work

Plus: $160K Pay for New Associates Is Still the BigLaw Norm in Many Cities, Survey Finds
Sep 9, 2010, 07:49 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/160k_pay_for_new_associates_is_still_the_biglaw_norm_in_many_cities_survey

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Careers
Interviewing for a Job? Try Asking This Question
Sep 8, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/interviewing_for_a_job_try_asking_this_question

Legal Rebels

Meet the Solo Who Wrote the Book on Virtual Law Practice
Sep 9, 2010, 06:20 am CDT
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/meet_the_solo_who_wrote_the_book_on_virtual_law_practice

Plus:
Mennonite Minister Finds Calling in Defending Military Dissenters
Sep 7, 2010, 08:59 am CDT
http://www.legalrebels.com/profiles/mennonite_minister_finds_calling_in_defending_military_dissenters

Francine Ward: Speak Your Way to a Bigger Practice
Sep 8, 2010, 09:21 am CDT
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/francine_ward

Kevin Houchin: 4 F-Words to Revolutionize Your Life and Law Practice
Sep 10, 2010, 12:05 am CDT
http://www.legalrebels.com/posts/kevin_houchin

Law Practice Management
Should Lawyers Fresh Out of Law School Start a Solo Practice? (Podcast)
Sep 7, 2010, 08:54 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/podcast_monthly_episode_6

Law Firms
Ex-Partners Sue Law Firm Managers for Surprise Closing of Their Office
Sep 7, 2010, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/ex-partners_sue_law_firm_managers_for_surprise_closing_of_their_office

Solo & Small Firms
Why New Lawyers Should Consider Rural Practice
Sep 7, 2010, 11:15 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/why_new_lawyers_should_consider_rural_practice

Business of Law
New 'Lower Cost' Alternative Law Firm Adds 5 More Seyfarth Attorneys
Sep 8, 2010, 08:26 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/new_lower_cost_alternative_law_firm_adds_5_more_seyfarth_attorneys

Copyright Law
Adult Content Producers File Mass Tort Against Alleged Downloaders
Sep 7, 2010, 12:22 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/adult_content_producers_file_mass_tort_against_alleged_downloaders

Law Schools
Record $10M Chicago Law Grad Gift Will Fund 60 Full-Tuition Merit Scholarships
Sep 8, 2010, 01:46 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/record_10m_chicago_law_grad_gift_will_fund_60_full-tuition_merit_scholarshi

Legal Ethics
6-Month Suspension Urged for Lawyer Who Claimed to Channel Client's Dead Wife
Sep 7, 2010, 07:08 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/6-month_suspension_urged_for_lawyer_who_claimed_to_channel_clients_dead_wif

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Can You Work with Someone with Whom You Have 'Profound Disagreements'?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/can_you_work_with_someone_with_whom_you_have_profound_disagreements

This week, a post of ours noted U.S. Supreme Court justices' law clerk hiring trends. Justice Clarence Thomas reportedly has the most variety when it comes to law schools -- most justices stick with Harvard and Yale law grads, while Thomas has had clerks from lower-ranked schools like Creighton, George Mason and Rutgers.

Still, when hiring clerks who have previously worked for other federal judges, Thomas admittedly picks clerks who worked for Republican appointees. "I won't hire clerks who have profound disagreements with me," he said at a Dallas luncheon 10 years ago. "It's like trying to train a pig. It wastes your time, and it aggravates the pig."

Most of us don't get to choose our supervisors or subordinates from a near-unlimited pool like a Supreme Court justice does. And it may be less important for a practicing lawyer to have similar views on constitutional law as his or her co-workers. But still, we want to ask: Can you work with someone with whom you have "profound disagreements"? If so, tell us about when you were able to work these differences out. If not, tell us what the disagreement was and why it couldn't be overcome.

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question (and there were many good ones): What Was the Most Memorable Deposition You Have Been a Part Of?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/what_was_the_most_memorable_deposition_you_have_been_a_part_of

Featured answer:

Posted by Jan Raymond: "Decades ago when I was a young litigator, I was one of four attorneys representing different defendants taking the deposition of a treating physician. About halfway through what appeared to be typical questioning, he had an outburst ranting about how we were trying to 'strip him' of his reputation, etc., and then he said: 'You want to strip me ?' and proceeded to start to take off all his clothes. Plaintiffs counsel immediately halted the deposition and was able to remove the witness from the deposition room."

In The Magazine