'Unbillable Hours' at BigLaw Firm Made Job Worthwhile; Lawyers Join Ranks of Moonlighters; Lawyer Tailed by Private Investigators - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Law in Popular Culture
Ex-Associate Says 'Unbillable Hours' at Latham Made the Job Worthwhile
Aug 17, 2010, 06:02 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/ex-associate_says_unbillable_hours_at_latham_made_the_job_worthwhile

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Careers
Lawyers Among White-Collar Moonlighters Whose Numbers Are Increasing
Aug 18, 2010, 07:59 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyers_among_white-collar_moonlighters_whose_numbers_are_increasing

Legal Ethics
Lawyer Conducting Maricopa Ethics Probe Says He Was Tailed
Aug 19, 2010, 12:34 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_conducting_maricopa_ethics_probe_says_he_was_tailed

Law Firms
Abuse of Recent Grads? Howard Rice Sued for Deferred and Rescinded Job Offer
Aug 19, 2010, 06:34 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/abuse_of_recent_grads_howard_rice_sued_for_deferred_and_rescinded_job_offer

Plus:

Law Firms
Job-Hunting Paralegal Discovers Craigslist Ruse Involving Fake Law Firm
Aug 17, 2010, 06:39 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/job-hunting_paralegal_discovers_craigslist_ruse_involving_fake_law_firm

Layoffs
Townsend Firm Axes 9 Lawyers, 25 Staff
Aug 19, 2010, 01:28 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/bloody_wednesday_townsend_firm_axes_9_lawyers_and_25_staff

Legal Education
Should the ABA Accredit Foreign Law Schools?
Aug 18, 2010, 03:58 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/should_the_aba_accredit_foreign_law_schools

Plus:

Law Schools
Magazine Names Best Value Law Schools
Aug 18, 2010, 10:36 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/magazine_names_best_value_law_schools

Law Schools
Angry Law Grads Beef, Blog and Move On; Tuition Makes $15K Total in 80s Seem Paltry
Aug 16, 2010, 08:42 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/angry_law_grads_beef_blog_and_move_on_big_tuition_pales_next_to_15k_total_i

Legal Ethics
Lawyer Suspended for Overbilling Is Disbarred for Continuing to Practice
Aug 16, 2010, 11:07 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_suspended_for_overbilling_is_disbarred_for_continuing_practice

Associates
Associates Are Worthless? Law Dean Pans Lawyers Who Agree with the Assertion
Aug 18, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/associates_are_worthless_law_dean_pans_lawyers_who_agree_with_the_assertion

Judiciary
More Judges Take on Role of Fashion Police; Reporter Banned for Short Dress
Aug 18, 2010, 06:00 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/more_judges_take_on_role_of_fashion_police_reporter_banned_for_short_dress

Work/Life Balance
BigLaw Firm's Secret to Success in Retaining Women Partners: 82 Holidays a Year
Aug 18, 2010, 09:00 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/biglaw_firms_secret_to_success_in_retaining_women_partners_82_holidays_a_ye

Lawyer Pay
Net Worth of Law Prof Nominated for Seat on 7th Circuit Bench: Nearly $20M
Aug 18, 2010, 09:17 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/net_worth_of_law_prof_nominated_for_seat_on_7th_circuit_bench_nearly_20m

------------------------------

Question of the Week

What Are the 'Unbillable Hours' That Make Your Work Life Worth the Effort Each Day?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/what_are_the_unbillable_hours_that_make_your_work_life_worth_the_effort_eac

This week, we noted an ex-BigLaw associate's memoir, "Unbillable Hours," in which Ian Graham writes about life at Latham & Watkins. He had doubts about BigLaw life during his first few months, in which he spent a lot of time doing document review. But he found fulfillment at the firm while working pro bono on clearing murder charges against Mario Rocha.

This week, we'd like to ask: What are the "unbillable hours" that make your work life worth the effort each day? What is it other than your paycheck that is keeping you going?

Answer in the comments.

Read the answers to last week's question: How Do You Know When to Turn Down a Case -- for Your Own Good?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/how_do_you_know_when_to_turn_down_a_casefor_your_own_good/

Featured answer:

Posted by Jeffrey W. Hutson on Facebook: "When a prospective client has talked with a lot of lawyers but has decided that I am the only honest one."

In The Magazine