2010-2011 NLD Committee Appointments

Title: AAJ - Membership

If you are having trouble viewing this email, you may read it online.

Dear NLD Member,

As Chair of the AAJ New Lawyers Division (NLD), I’m very excited about the upcoming 2010-2011 year! I’m in the process of making 2010-2011 committee appointments, and want to encourage your participation in one of the many active NLD committees. If you are interested in making the commitment, please contact Brandon Grubesky, AAJ Staff Liaison, at brandon.grubesky@justice.org and indicate which committee you’re interested in being appointed to.

If you have questions about getting involved with AAJ or the New Lawyers Division, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. My email is bgalligan@galliganlaw.com. My phone number is (800) 217-9312.

The NLD is one of the strongest and most active divisions of AAJ, and I want your help. The strength of our membership can only be matched by the dedication of our leadership and it’s the individual NLD members who volunteer their time and talent that make the division a valuable resource for new lawyers and AAJ as a whole.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Brian P. Galligan
Chair, AAJ New Lawyers Division
Des Moines, Iowa

2010-2011 New Lawyers Division Committees

Education Committee - The Education Committee is charged with working with AAJ Education and the NCA to develop and implement NLD education programs throughout the year and specifically at the Annual Convention.

Fundraising Committee - The Fundraising Committee overall is charged with orchestrating political fundraising efforts on behalf of the NLD. Goals include:
a. Organize two AAJ PAC phonathons;
b. Assist the State Board of Governors Committee in encouraging all NLD Governors to join AAJ PAC;
c. Organize and promote political fundraising efforts in 2009-2010 on behalf of a pro-civil justice system political candidates; and
d. Raise additional funds as called upon by the Executive Committee of AAJ and the NLD.

PAC Sub-Committee - The PAC Sub-Committee is charged with orchestrating political fundraising efforts on behalf of the NLD. Goals include:
a. Organize two AAJ PAC phonathons
b. Assist the State Board of Governors Committee in encouraging all NLD Governors to join AAJ PAC.

National Fundraising Sub-Committee - The National Committee is charged with organizing and promoting political fundraising efforts in 2009-2010 on behalf of pro-civil justice system political candidates and on behalf of the NLD.

Membership Outreach Committee - The Membership Committee is responsible for increasing and maintaining new lawyer membership in AAJ. Goals include:
a. Organize two membership phonathons.
b. Encourage current members to make individual efforts to recruit using the Membership Game.

Law Schools Sub-Committee - The Law Schools Sub-Committee is responsible for working closely with AAJ's Law Schools Committee to ensure that law students upon graduation continue in AAJ as voting members and participates in the New Lawyers Division.

Public Service Committee - The Public Service Committee focuses on civic-oriented projects and is responsible for the substantive content for the Public Service section of the NLD Web site. Goals include the following:
a. Organize a public service project in conjunction with the AAJ Conventions;
b. Compile substantive information, articles, and photographs on public service projects involving new lawyers around the country for inclusion on the website and in the Sidebar newsletter.

Publications Committee - The Publications Committee is responsible for all NLD publications. This committee will also serve as a liaison to staff of the various AAJ publications, including TRIAL, the Advocate, and the Law Reporter. Goals include:
a. Publication of four issues of The Sidebar;
b. Assisting the Chair, as necessary, with preparation and publication of the NLD Annual Report.

Social Committee - The Social Committee is responsible for the planning and organizing of the NLD parties at both the Winter and Annual Conventions.

Special Projects - The Special Projects Committee responds to requests for help from AAJ leadership. The goals of the Special Projects Committee vary year to year. From 2009-2010, the focus of Special Projects will be raising funds for AAJ’s Lions of Justice campaign.

Sponsorship Committee - The Sponsorship Committee is responsible for the funding of the NLD parties at both the Winter and Annual Conventions. Goals for the committee include increasing and retaining sponsors for the NLD parties.

State Board of Governors - The State Board of Governors Committee is responsible for recruiting New Lawyers Division (NLD) Governors from each state. Goals include:
a. Retaining and maintaining governors from each state;
b. Contacting new NLD members and introducing them to membership benefits and volunteer opportunities; and
c. Helping to mobilize the NLD Governors for various fundraising, document drive, and membership efforts.

Website Committee
- The Website Committee is charged with the continued development of the NLD portion of www.justice.org.

Document Library/Exchange Committee - The Document Library is charged with the continued collection of documents helpful to the new lawyers for submission to the document library and AAJ Exchange.

American Association for Justice · 777 6th St. NW · Suite 200 · Washington, DC 20001 · 800-424-2725
If you prefer to not receive e-mails regarding AAJ products and services,
please reply with "No Products" in the subject.