Can Eye-Rolling Be Disorderly Conduct?; 7th Circuit Removes Chief Judge Mid-Trial, Creates Stir; 25 Greatest Fictional Lawyers - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Editor's note: Join us online at LegalRebels.com/tour as we follow Carolyn Elefant and Lisa Solomon, entrepreneurial solos who are launching an innovative new video storytelling project.
http://www.legalrebels.com/tour

Criminal Justice
Is Eye-Rolling Disorderly Conduct? City Attorney Ordered to Investigate
Jul 26, 2010, 12:43 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/is_eye-rolling_disorderly_conduct_city_attorney_ordered_to_investigate

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Legal Ethics
7th Circuit Removes Chief District Judge Mid-Trial After Evidence Dispute with US Attorney
Jul 28, 2010, 09:43 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/7th_circuit_removes_judge_in_mid-trial_after_evidence_dispute_with_us_attor

Law in Popular Culture
The 25 Greatest Fictional Lawyers (Who Are Not Atticus Finch)http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/the_25_greatest_fictional_lawyers_who_are_not_atticus_finch

Plus:

Farewell, Atticus
http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/farewell_atticus

Careers
'Mad Rush' of August Interviews May Contribute to Associate Attrition, Law Dean Says
Jul 27, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/mad_rush_of_august_interviews_may_contribute_to_associate_attrition_law_dea

Plus:

One-Month Interview Delay Is 'Bold New Move' for Northwestern Law School and Jones Day
Jul 26, 2010, 10:44 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/one-month_interview_delay_is_bold_step_for_northwestern_and_jones_day

Art Law
Lawyer Says He Helped Client Show That $45 Garage-Sale Buy Is Worth Some $200M
Jul 27, 2010, 07:31 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_helps_client_prove_that_45_garage-sale_buy_is_worth_some_200m

Legal Education
ABA Group: US News Law School Rankings 'Not Entirely Benign,' But We're Stuck with Them
Jul 27, 2010, 05:54 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/aba_group_us_news_law_school_rankings_not_entirely_benign_but_were_stuck_wi

Legal Technology
Do Your E-Mail Messages Convey Unintended Hostility? Try a Tone Editor
Jul 27, 2010, 09:53 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/do_your_e-mail_messages_convey_unintended_hostility_try_a_tone_editor

Internet Law
Law Firm & Angry Ex-Associate Settle Suit Over Badmouth Blog
Jul 26, 2010, 12:53 pm CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_firm_angry_ex-associate_settle_suit_over_badmouth_blog

Labor & Employment Law
Temp Agency Pays $650K to Settle EEOC Suit Claiming 'Cupcake' Wasn't a Dessert
Jul 29, 2010, 05:30 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/temp_agency_pays_650k_to_settle_eeoc_claim_it_used_code_words_for_minoritie

Supreme Court Nominations
Scalia Doubts He Would Win Confirmation if Vote Were Today
Jul 29, 2010, 09:01 am CDT
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/scalia_doubts_he_would_win_confirmation_if_vote_were_today

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Tell Us About the Worst Boss or Co-Worker You've Ever Had at a Law Job
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/tell_us_about_the_worst_boss_or_co-worker_youve_ever_had_at_a_law_job

This week, we talked to the operator of eBossWatch, a site that allows workers to investigate would-be employers by seeing how others who have worked with them have rated them on the site.

Even though the site names names, founder Asher Adelman says he doesn't fear libel suits because its boss reviews consist of a of opinion statements that reviewers can either agree or disagree with, and statements of opinion cannot by definition be considered libelous.

After asking for your intern horror stories two weeks ago, it seems only fair for this week to ask you to tell us about the worst boss or co-worker you've ever had at a law job.

We ask that you not answer eBossWatch style -- please don't name names or workplaces. Instead, answer in the style of  the "stress-relieving humor" blog that's my boss, in which all posts are curated first-person horror stories about horrible bosses and co-workers in all sorts of jobs.

Read the full question, then answer.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/tell_us_about_the_worst_boss_or_co-worker_youve_ever_had_at_a_law_job

Read the answers to last week's question: Did You Ever Skip a Law School Class -- And Have Dramatic Consequences?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/did_you_ever_skip_a_law_school_class_and_have_dramatic_consequences/

Featured answer:

Posted by MAGK: "I interned at legal services for a course. In addition to many hours at legal services helping people with their legal problems, we also had to attend a ridiculous 2-hour weekly class in which we learned precious little. Unlike my fellow students who barely made it to this class, I attended every class but one. Unfortunately, the one I missed was the one in which the professor spoke about the final. I got the hand out from my friend and made sure to model my final like the example in the handout. I only found out later that the hand out was given as an example of what NOT to write! As a result, I didn?t do great on the final, which lowered my entire course grade. This was enough to change my entire GPA so instead of graduating magna cum laude, I only graduated cum laude. It still annoys me, even though it has been over 20 years since I graduated from law school! Missing one course had an enormous effect!"

In The Magazine