Ex-Partner Rakes in $ for Speeches; Clients Balk at Paying for Summers; Are Law Schools Honest Enough With Next Gen Lawyers? - ABA Journal Weekly

ABA Journal Weekly Newsletter
www.abajournal.com

Our Top Ten Stories of the Week
-------------------------------

Careers
Lawyer Quits Covington, Makes $12K a Speech
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lawyer_quits_covington_makes_12k_a_speech
Jun 7, 2010 6:31 am CDT

Plus:
Looking for a Job? Follow the '80/20 Rule' and Make an Impression, Hiring Partner Says : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/looking_for_a_law_job_follow_the_80_20_rule_and_make_an_impression_hiring_p
Although High-Powered People Lie More Easily, It's Not Advisable for Job-Hunting Lawyers : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/although_high-power_people_lie_more_easily_its_not_advisable_for_job-huntin
Law Firm Intern Worries About Reaction to Her Pricey $10K Handbag : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/law_firm_intern_worries_about_reaction_to_her_pricey_10k_handbag

--------Advertisement---------
Follow the ABA Journal on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/abajournal
------------------------------

Business of Law
As Summer Classes Plummet By 80% at Some BigLaw Firms, Clients Balk at Paying for Law Student Work
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/as_summer_classes_plummet_by_80_at_some_biglaw_firms_clients_balk_at_paying
Jun 7, 2010 6:51 pm CDT

ABA Journal Podcast
Lowering the Stakes: How Law Schools Can Help Next Gen Lawyers Take Gamble Out of Hefty Tuition
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/lowering_the_stakes
Jun 7, 2010 3:00 pm CDT

Law Firms
Ex-BigLaw Attorneys Profit at Smaller Firm via Flexible Fees & Eat-What-You-Kill Comp
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/ex-biglaw_attorneys_proft_at_smaller_firm_via_flexible_fees_eat-what-you-ki
Jun 7, 2010 1:12 pm CDT

Women in the Law
Partner Advises Women Law Grads to Value Adversity, Get Real About Balance
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/partner_advises_women_law_grads_to_value_adversity_get_real_about_balance
Jun 9, 2010 8:44 am CDT

U.S. Supreme Court
Supreme Court Allows Do-Over for Lawyer Who Sued Wrong Party
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/supreme_court_allows_do-over_for_lawyer_who_sued_wrong_party
Jun 7, 2010 9:53 am CDT

Plus: Sotomayor Looks to Scalia While Announcing Civil Pro Decision : http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/sotomayor_looks_to_scalia_while_announcing_civil_pro_decision

Tax Law
Billionaire Dies at a Fortuitous Time
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/billionaire_dies_at_a_fortuitous_time
Jun 9, 2010 7:58 am CDT

Legal Ethics
Chicago Lawyer Accused of Using Slurs to Refer to Competing Colleagues
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/chicago_lawyer_accused_of_using_slurs_to_refer_to_competing_colleagues
Jun 9, 2010 6:57 am CDT

Environmental Law
Report: BP Warned by Gov't Agencies, Vinson & Elkins of Potential Issues at Multiple Sites
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/report_bp_warned_by_govt_agencies_vinson_elkins_of_potential_issues_at_mult
Jun 8, 2010 11:47 am CDT

Law Firms
NYC Law Dept to Firms: Send Us Your Deferred Associates
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/nyc_law_dept_to_firms_send_us_your_deferred_associates
Jun 9, 2010 2:48 pm CDT

------------------------------

Question of the Week

Does Your Office Have a Dress Code? Do You Follow It?
http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/does_your_office_have_a_dress_code_do_you_follow_it

Summer temperatures are here, and with them come workers' motivation to push the limits of their office dress codes. This is actually part of the inspiration for next week's ABA-CLE teleconference and webcast:Flip Flops Are Not Business Casual! Drafting Dress Codes for Your Firm and Clients. It focuses on "finding a middle ground that allows for employee self-expression and avoids discrimination claims."

But mixing summer clothing with doing business seems to come up every year: Last year, Curtis Mallet-Prevost Colt & Mosle specifically warned its male lawyers and paralegals in a memo that chest hair must never be visible; and a recruiter, lawyer and stylist all weighed in on what a woman lawyer should wear to an office pool party and agreed that swimsuits should definitely be left at home.

So this week, we'd like to ask you: Does your office have a dress code? Do you agree with it and follow it? We also welcome any answers recounting any workplace fashion fouls you've seen that either prompted or should have prompted your office to start enforcing a dress code.

Read the full question, then answer.
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/does_your_office_have_a_dress_code_do_you_follow_it/

Read the answers to last week's question: What Poetic, Alliterative & Not-So-Nasty Words Would You Use to Describe Your Position at Your Firm?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/what_poetic_alliterative_not-so-nasty_words_would_you_use_to_describe_your_/

Featured answer:

Posted by BL1Y.com: "I used to list myself as a 'billable hour factory line worker,' because that pretty accurately describes life as a junior associate at a big law firm.  You're not there to produce great research or polished memos; you're there to produce billable hours. But, since the economy happened, I've changed my job title to 'welfare queen.' "

In The Magazine