Re: Civil Rights

Well, wow.

First: Does the possession of marijuana in the quantities found in Alexander's car in this state (I'm wanting to say Texas--but you're probably going to tell me something normal) constitute an arrestable offense? In Oregon less than an ounce is a violation and does not constitute pc to arrest. If the crime of possession is not an arrestable offense then you should start with the no-probable cause arrest issue for Alexander. I think you told me you do crim defense--you need to think about this issue in the mirror view as you would as a crim def atty. If the officer lacks probable cause to arrest for some crime (that is very important) then any detention which extends into an unreasonable detention or arrest is a violation of the Fourth Amendment and can be the basis of an action for Alexander.  The length of detention as unreasonable is a matter of fact for a jury--but at some point it becomes an arrest when the individual no longer believes he is free to leave. Terry stop.

If, however, he is found guilty of the crime and it was an arrestable offense, then under the Heck Doctrine he cannot sue for a civil rights violation on the arrest. If he is exonerated or the case dismissed, it creates the basis for a substantive due process malicious prosecution case against the officers, the Chief individually.

2. Regardless of the crime for which he was arrested for (justified or not) the officer may only use the amount of force objectively reasonable under the circumstances presented. If Alexander was not resisting, was compliant, was handcuffed when he was beaten then the use of force is objectively unreasonable--use the Graham v. Connor analysis on all 4th Amendment use of force claims. I think this sounds like a pretty good claim.

3. The racial/religious issues are another interesting angle. This can go to either the objective reasonableness of the force or the probable cause to arrest. There are also racial/religious discrimination claims but I would think these would be more effective to use to establish the arrest and force was retaliatory and racially motivated as evidence of the lack of reasonableness.  I would have to think this through with some greater detail for any equal protection arguments.  I am assuming these morons thought that everybody was a terrorist muslim because of mom's hijab. And these cops are white latter day Christians--by the way their conduct opens the door to their religious preferences.

4. Mom likely does not have any claims for civil rights violations.

5. With the Chief's endorsement you appear to have a stellar shot at a municipal liability/Monell claim against the municipality.

6. Sounds like you might have some falsification of official documents to throw into the mix to attack their credibiltiy--I would use it to attack their objective reasonableness and put it on the face of the complaint.

Practical considerations: get videotapes, witness statements now. Start at the hospital and talk to everyone. Get the medical records. I would send a notice of tort claim--if required under your state law right away, create your detailed version of the story.  Make the demand high.

I would also start sending any type of public records/FOIA type requests to the department for their records on use of force (most departments have to keep track of use of force especially shootings), get copies of lawsuits against them, find out everything you can about these two officers. Sometimes these idiots have facebook pages, go on and find out what you can.  Get copies of the departments use of force and arrest procedures--most have detailed general orders or procedure manuals.

Also, the issue of being Muslim in America is one fraught with so many complexities and one which needs to be dealt with effectively and vigorously. . . you may draw a jury which hates all Muslims because obviously all Muslims are terrorists. So, start tainting your jury pool early and often with public outreach by the Muslim community, newspaper stories etc. I would file in Federal court and make the complaint as detailed as possible --don't forget Iqbal pleading issues--and send it to the major newspapers in your area.

At this juncture I like the force claim--need to get the criminal charges dismissed and then the arrest claim is probably good. Sound like those two claims and the Chief's endorsement will get you to the municipality.  This is likely only a big ticket case if you can make the racial/religious angle work for you.

Sigh. . . why are we fighting these wars anyway?

I'll send you some briefing and a sample complaint on Monday.

Michelle