Mt. Everest, Dispatch #5

Teammates,

I have spent the last eight days staring at a wind and snow swept Chomolungma from Everest Base Camp (BC).  High winds and severe cold have made a summit attempt impossible.  That is about to change…

After studying the most recent weather forecasts for the Everest Region, my climbing partners and I have decided to leave BC on Sunday morning, May 16th to attempt our final assault on Mt. Everest.  We will depart BC early and hike to Interim Camp (IC) at 18,000’.  After an early breakfast on Monday morning, we will continue to hike up the East Rongbuk Glacier to Advanced Base Camp (ABC) at 21,000’.  The plan is to spend two or three days at ABC before continuing our climb to The North Col/ Camp 1 at 23,500’ on Wednesday, May 19th or Thursday, May 20th

Departing Camp 1 to Camp 2 represents our commitment to a summit attempt so we will be checking weather frequently after arriving to see how conditions are improving/ deteriorating at higher altitudes.  Right now, although the weather looks good, it is still very unpredictable.  Should we decide to continue, it will be an approximate 6- 8 hour hike to Camp 2 (25,250’) where we will spend the night prior to departing for Camp 3 at 27,000’.

During our 6 hour hike to Camp 3 the following day, we will cross into “The Death Zone,” the altitude where our bodies lose the ability to regenerate and slowly begin to die.  Upon reaching Camp 3, we will eat and rest as much as possible for a few hours before departing for the summit of Mt. Everest at 29,028’ (approx Sunday, May 23rd).

After a successful summit, we will head as far back down the mountain as possible based on our own physical and mental condition, time and weather.  Although the primary goal is to get back down out of The Death Zone, I would like to return as far as Camp 1 where I will spend the night prior to returning to ABC and BC.

I hope to be able to email you a photo from the top of the world in 8- 12 days.  I can’t promise that I will be able to do so, but I do promise that I have prepared my body for the challenge I am about to subject it.  Further, I promise that I will try my best…

Regards,

Eric

Eric Kapitulik, C.E.O. & Founder

The Program, LLC