US v. Jenkins: Request for Clarification of Court Rules

Sir,

As it has been an issue in other cases and in this case, the Government
requests clarification as to what documents are properly forwarded to
the Court by both trial and defense counsel.

In this case, the Defense has sent to the Court its requested witness
list and also statements obtained during its own pretrial preparation.
These statements are on DA Form 2823 but are attested by a Defense
paralegal.  These statements are themselves inadmissible and give the
appearance of impermissible bolstering of the Defense theory of the case
before the Court.  The Government, of course, agrees that the witness
list and such statements are properly provided to the trial counsel
pursuant to RCM 701(b)(1), but urges that forwarding to the Court should
be reserved for official motions in which the admissibility and
evidentiary value of such statements is properly subjected to the
adversarial process.  Additionally, the Government recognizes that its
own disclosures under Rule 304 should be limited to disclosure to the
defense counsel.

The Government respectfully requests clarification as to what documents
will be submitted to the Court directly and that the Court not consider
any documents previously submitted not within the purview of that
guidance.

Respectfully,
MAJ Dubbeling

MAJ Paul Dubbeling