RE: RDO Street Lights

To my fellow neighbors living within the RDO HOA:

Like you, my husband and I are homeowners and residents within RDO, the Miraval community specifically, and I also wrote to our elected city officials regarding this matter. I wanted to let you know (and perhaps you can help spread the word) that if indeed it is determined that the RDO HOA bears some responsibility for the maintaining of streetlights within our community, there is no need to for the board to raise our monthly assessments to cover this cost, as there are currently dues that could be shifted from an existing, unnecessary cost center to this one, if need be. Currently our assessments are going toward a parking and towing policy within our community that my fellow homeowners/residents would love to see abolished with those costs going elsewhere. A portion of our RDO HOA dues go toward paying a private security company to patrol our particular neighborhood daily, not for security, but to rather cite and call in tows for our guests' vehicles not displaying a "parking pass." Each household within our community is issued just one parking pass for the lifetime of the household. It's a contentious policy that my neighbors and I have been protesting to the Prescott companies and the RDO HOA board for years to no avail. We even started a petition that's been basically ignored by the board, of which I started but couldn't complete because our daughter became severely ill (every household I went to signed the petition and wanted the policy abolished, by the way). I have also personally petitioned the board on behalf of my neighbors regarding this matter a year ago in a board meeting; the board president curtly dismissed me, would not allow me to express my viewpoint on the issue and told me to "be quiet." This whole issue results from a poorly designed community (Miraval), which was approved by the city of Oceanside, where there is parking on only one side of the street. The Prescott companies and the RDO HOA board say the parking policy is in the interest of safety for the community to protect children who play in the street and to prevent accidents. However, there is no record of any such incidents within our community that would actually require such a policy. It was a reactionary developed policy that might have sounded good to the board in theory, but in practice is not.

I really don't know whose responsibility the streetlights are--our community's or the city's. I realize there are usually two sides to every issue. My ultimate hope is that our assessments are not increased to go toward paying for streetlight maintenance. So, please know there are funds currently taken from hour HOA dues going toward this parking and towing policy within Miraval and one other RDO community. Perhaps if all of our communities could come together to request the board divert these funds to something more productive, they'll listen. Also, if you'd like to see your monthly assessments to go down overall, perhaps you can help us in Miraval to get the parking/towing policy abolished. The amount of our dues going toward paying for the enforcement of this policy are significant.

Amanda Bergara