RE: (Cynowa v. CSSS) Subpoena for Larry Carver...

Haytham,

I received your voice message about looking for a subpoena for Carver.  I gather you are looking for a form.  It is my understanding that the subpoena must be issued by a Virginia court that has jurisdiction over Carver.  So rather than using an Illinois subpoena form, I expect you will need to use the Virginia form.  However, I expect that there is some information that the Virginia court may require in order to issue a subpoena in aid of an action pending in Illinois.  I presume your colleagues in your Virginia office are in a better position that we are to find out what a Virginia court would require.

Judge Maddux, the judge who heard the recent motion relating to Carver expressed his view that a Virginia court reporting firm may well be able to assist with the issuance of a Virginia subpoena.  Here’s what Judge Maddux said:

 “All you have to do is just serve a notice for this deposition.  Send that to the clerk of the courthouse in Virginia, and they'll give you a number where a subpoena can be issued, and that subpoena can be issued and used on the person.  This is the Uniform Taking of Foreign Depositions Act, nothing more than that. And it's a very simple process.  And what you do is you've got to hire a court reporter.  I used to just -- give this to the court reporter, who would get the subpoena served and make that a part of their charge, you see.

In case you need it, attached is the notice of deposition that we served previously.  Beyond that, I’m not sure what you were asking for in your voice message.

Also, as you saw from Carver’s email that I forwarded to you yesterday morning, if there are specific dates other than March 10-11 that you want us to offer Carver that work for your schedule, please let me know what those are so we can figure out whether there is a mutually agreeable date that we can set for Carver’s deposition.

Regards,

Kevin