From: Jessica Carmichael <carmichael.jessica@gmail.com>
Date: October 7, 2011 11:21:00 AM EDT
Subject: Application for Lateral Hire at Puckett & Faraj

Dear Mr. Puckett,

Please find attached my application for an associate position with Puckett & Faraj beginning June 2012.

I became familiar with your firm’s exceptional work during the McCabe case last year, as my husband, LCDR Drew Carmichael, represented the first member of the SEAL team at trial in Iraq.

I am currently clerking at the U.S. District Court in Norfolk, Virginia.  I have a broad background in the federal judicial system as well as courtroom experience. As a law clerk, I attend court for civil and criminal matters, research, analyze statutes and case law, and draft orders and recommendations. I am comfortable and thrive in court. In fact, I began participating in mock trial competitions in high school, and excelled throughout undergraduate and law school- even winning an award at the national level.  This is evidence, not only of my effectiveness in presenting a case, but also of my inherent desire for a legal career based primarily in the courtroom.

I have worked on numerous military and national security related matters as well- specifically, while with the American Embassy in Bahrain, and the Foreign Affairs Committee in the House of Representatives.  I am familiar with the military judicial system through my husband’s career and from clerking in Federal Court in Norfolk.

Additionally, I recognize that being an associate at your firm would require the ability to balance a significant case-load and interact with clients and opposing counsel. My prior positions have enhanced these abilities as they have often required simultaneous work on projects with imminent deadlines. At the Foreign Affairs Committee, I developed strong interpersonal and negotiation skills as I drafted legislation to incorporate often conflicting views.  My experiences have prepared me for a successful legal career, but I also continue to be inspired by new challenges, such as monitoring an election in Azerbaijan, and I tackle them with efficiency, resourcefulness, and enthusiasm.

A position with your firm would provide an exhilarating and fulfilling career in criminal defense and national security law.  Through my knowledge of the federal and military systems, and my experiences, I believe I would be an asset to Puckett & Faraj.  Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Jessica Carmichael

--
Jessica N. Carmichael