RE: U.S. v. Wuterich delay

Neal, Haytham

I thought I would write to let you know of the status of the charges against the Australian soldiers I represent.

I think I may have previously told you that they were charged with manslaughter by criminal negligence and in the alternative, the military discipline charge of dangerous conduct with negligence as to the consequences.

Last week the military judge heard an application by us to dismiss the charges on the grounds that they are wrong in law.  I’ve attached our written submissions.  Among other matters, we contended that the charges were wrong in law because, they required establishment of a duty of care to non-combatants on the battlefield.  We contended that no such duty exists.  This argument was accepted and the charges were dismissed (or to be more correct, returned to the military prosecutor).  Our submissions were in part based on an old decision of the High Court of Australia (see my email of 9 Dec 10, copy attached), which has been followed in the United Kingdom.  I’ve attached the judge’s decision for your information.

I wonder whether these matters might have application to the negligent homicide offences against SSGT Wuterich.

I hope this helps.  I’d be very happy to discuss this further with you if that would be of assistance.

Regards

David McLure

Seven Wentworth

T 02 8224 3029 F 02 8023 9535 M 0402 892 766

mclure@sevenwentworth.com.au

34/126 Phillip Street, SYDNEY

--- Begin Message ---

Hi Neal

Thanks for your time on the phone and thanks again for so generously offering to assist us. I do hope that we can find a way to assist you too.

I am intrigued by the way the prosecutors have pleaded the charges in SSGT Wuterich's case.  Australian law in relation to manslaughter is pretty much the same as the law under art 119 of the UCMJ.  That is to say, there are 2 types of manslaughter:

1. voluntary manslaughter - where a person kills another in circumstances that would satisfy all of the elements of murder, but under provocation;

2. involuntary manslaughter - where a person kills another by criminal negligence; or, where a person kills another by an unlawful and dangerous act.

The specifications to charge 2 seem a little odd to me, because the alleged fault elements are 'wrongfully and recklessly'.  The wrongful part seems to be an allegation of unlawfulness, or to use the language of art 119(b)(2): while perpetrating or attempting to perpetrate an offense.  If that is correct what offence does the prosecution say SSGT Wuterich was perpetrating or attempting to perpetrate?

The reckless part of the specification seems to be an allegation of culpable negligence within the language of art 119(b)(1).  I note from the 2008 edition of the Manual for Courts Martial at page IV-65 that there is a legal duty to act.  As we discussed on the phone, I am interested in the question whether a soldier actually does owe a legal duty to others on the battlefield.  Assume that SSGT Wuterich is in command of a squad of men about to make entry to a room containing an enemy combatant and some non-combatants.  Assume that he posts a grenade into the room before ordering his men to make entry.  If it is correct to say that SSGT Wuterich owed a duty of care to the non-combatants, is it also correct to say that he owed a duty of care to the enemy combatant?  And what about his men?  Did he owe a duty of care to them?  If he owed a duty of care to the non combatants, he must surely have owed a duty to his own men.  How can those duties possibly be reconciled?  I would contend that it is impossible for such duties to be reconciled, which points in favour of the conclusion that the duties do not exist.  Of course, I am limiting these contentions to circumstances of actual combat.