FW: Scarselli Letter

-----Original Message-----
From: Gilinsky Capt David [mailto:david.gilinsky@usmc.mil]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:20 PM
To: Rubin LtCol Peter R; Hur Capt Christian P; Wareham Capt Jason R; Faraj,
Haytham
Subject: Scarselli Letter

Sir,

Per your instructions, a certified true copy of the CG's letter to the
Provost Marshal's Office has been attached as the next exhibit in order in
the record.  All Marines and civilian personnel at PMO have been briefed by
Major Jones, the provost Marshal.  I was able to confirm accountability this
morning.

MSgt Scamman, as indicated previously, is currently on PTAD away from the
Provost Marshal's Office.  (On the East Coast.)  There is an MPO in place
directing him to refrain from contacting any member of PMO except Major
Jones, and he is set to go on leave from 28 June to 28 July without checking
back into PMO.  (The MPO will remain in effect.)

In regards to the letter itself, I understood your instructions on the
contents of the letter, potential movement of MSgt Scamman, and input by the
defense counsel to be suggestions.  As such, I felt that it was more
important to have the remedial action taken as soon as possible rather than
risk delay over the actual terminology of the letter.

Attached to this email, please additionally find the grant of immunity and
order to testify for Capt Beck, provided by 4th MLG.

The final issue to be raised is that I will likely request a continuance in
this case (already communicated to defense counsel) due to issues sourcing
field grade officers from outside 29 Palms.  Due to the nature of the
Accused's position, there are few officers who can outright be said to have
little significant contact with him.  Additionally, the two major sources of
field grade officers on base are compromised, and Col Green, who will be a
witness in this case, has moved from the 7 shop to become OIC of MVSD which
oversees the various training groups.  HQBN has definitively come back this
morning with a negative answer regarding their ability to source 10 field
grade officers.  (A minimum number to mitigate the possibility of quorum
issues.)  The SJA has taken this up with the Chief of Staff, however, we
currently have three visiting generals on deck for the week and it does not
appear likely to receive much attention before next week.

Given the sheer logistical issues posed by 60 odd witnesses, many of whom
are not local, outside members, and a civilian defense counsel who will have
to fly out for the trial, prudence dictates that although the govenrment
would like to see this trial go on the scheduled dates, and is making every
effort to ensure suck, it cannot be guaranteed at this point.  Having spoken
with Mr. Faraj, I understand that his current trial schedule may force this
continuance to late September or October.  The government will agree to
whatever dates the defense can support.

V/R

Capt D. Gilinsky
Trial Counsel/Legal Assistance Attorney